want to beggin climing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
superhaus

superhaus

ArboristSite Lurker
I have been cutting and splitin firewood for 10+ years now and i would like to get into climing does anyone have any suggestions on books or videos to learn the basics, what is the gear i will need to get started? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

mellonhs

mellonhs

ArboristSite Lurker
I have been cutting and splitin firewood for 10+ years now and i would like to get into climing does anyone have any suggestions on books or videos to learn the basics, what is the gear i will need to get started? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Hey man try the search bar at the top right of the page. It helped me out a lot. Theres a lot you need to research to be able to ask this question. Like will you be wanting to spur climb, SRT, DdRT, or??? Like what your budget is? Will you be operating a saw in the tree? Do you want to be able to accend and decent? There are several ways to do all of the above. Bit first u should figure out what type of climbing u want to do and what ur budget is.

VA-Sawyer

VA-Sawyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Just where in the eastern USA are you? Some members might be willing to provide a bit of time to help a newby. Good advice on getting the book 'Tree Climbers Companion' and reading it cover to cover more than once. There are a number of places you can order it, like SherrillTree, TreeStuff, or Wespur. Check the ads at the top of the page just under the big ArboristSite.com icon.

Tell us a bit more about your background.

Rick

offshoretreeze

offshoretreeze

ArboristSite Lurker
I've read good reviews about the working climber DVDs and arbormaster training DVDs.

Definitely--once you get through TCC, the Working Climber videos are a great next step.

The guy narrating is really likable and does a great job explaining the techniques. Highly recommended.

Check out the Cornell & Climbing Arborist videos on YouTube too--lots of good info.

Knots--Double/Single Fisherman's, Figure 8, Water Knot, Slip Knot, Prusik, Blake's Hitch, Clove Hitch, Munter Hitch, Alpine Butterfly & Running Bowline are all good to know. Keep a length of rope near the toilet--there's no better place to practice!

Once you buy some basic gear, you'll probably be itching to hike up the first tree possible-- try to resist. Spend a lot of time on the ground or a few feet up until you're VERY comfortable putting what you've read/watched to practical use.

Finally, if you happen to see a tree job in progress, grab some binoculars or better yet, a video camera. It's probably a good idea to ask permission, but you'd be surprised how people react when you take a genuine interest in what they're doing.

Good luck!
Aaron

joezilla11

joezilla11

ArboristSite Operative
Ill second that Aaron! I'm learning as well and I agree that there is that desire to hurry up and get up a tree. I think it's important to make yourself slow down and let the flood of new information set in. I read thru the tcc a few times and then watching the DVDs really helps being able to see it done. Definitely adds having that visual memory vs just remembering what u read.

Gerry's DVDs seemed a lot more detailed. I'm not knocking the arbormaster videos because i only watched the basic training set but although they were helpful I kept feeling like I was watching Reading Rainbow..

pepsifreak28

pepsifreak28

ArboristSite Operative
climbing

Is climbing schools worth going though?
I'm in ohio and im looking for a school of sorts.
I noticed a lot of jobs are posted for climbers however I seldom see entry level how does one get into a job as a climber just starting out? Or post school

TheJollyLogger

TheJollyLogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I noticed a lot of jobs are posted for climbers however I seldom see entry level how does one get into a job as a climber just starting out? Or post school

Get on with a good company, be the best brush dragger on the crew, learn to run a saw properly on the ground. Move to running the ropes from the ground, and watch what the climbers are doing in the tree. If you show initiative, any good employer will get you in a tree when you're ready. In other words, crawl before you walk, learn all aspects of the business, and you will be a better climber, it's a team sport.

richard t

richard t

ArboristSite Operative

If i was just starting out I'd do the same thing as i did when i started work as a groundman a couple of years for a good tree company with good climbers and pay attention to them and their moves in a tree.

Guran

Guran

ArboristSite Operative
I think the hardest part in all this is getting the wife onboard! Any tips for that!

I got mine to start working with me as a groundie. But now she talks about wanting to be the fininacial manager in the company!
What the....!!?? She's already the finance manager in the family! Whats up next? Start climbing? :msp_scared:

pepsifreak28

pepsifreak28

ArboristSite Operative
climbing

i will do that i have no experince with professional chainsawing just firewood and such..do they train you when your a greenhorn on ground crew?

Latest posts