Wanting other arborists advice..........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tshanefreeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was at a friend’s house today, when he asked me to look at his Silver Maple in the front yard. He said that the tree had black streaking down the limbs and that it resembled fire damage. We headed outside, took a look, and I instantly became puzzled with what I saw. Black, powdery in appearance but not in touch, streaking down the limbs of his Silver Maple.

It appears to me that the discoloration is due to sap residue flowing down from natural or man-made pruning wounds. All streaking is down the limb from branch attachments or wounds, never upwards. All streaking is located directly at the lowest point of the branches circumference. My first impression was that the discoloration was due to spring sap flow running down the branches, drying, and leaving the blackish residue due in part to dirt collection and in part to the dried nutrients found in the fluid. I am very aware of maples natural tendency to secrete fluids in the spring of every year, but I have never noticed this distinct streaking on Silver’s or at least not this color.

Can someone out there tell me if my predictions are correct or is there an actual disorder that I have over looked. The owner is the type that wants the best for his landscape plants, therefore, as someone that he looks towards, I want to provide the best service that I can. This is why I have turned to the collective aid of arborists abroad. Thanks in advance.

I have attached a picture with red arrows that hopefully will illustrate what I have tried to put to words!

Shane Freeman
"Total Tree Care & Consulting"

What about the possibility of staining from previous sooty mold infestations on the sap? Just one of my WAH guesses. I think I have seen it, but never paid attention since it did not seem to hurt anything except looks. Will a light bleach solution remove it? If so, it is just a stain.

Bob U.

I see this ocassionally. i think that you and Underwor have nailed it. Sap flow/mold. I have never noted a health problem attributable to this but I look forward to further enlightenment.:)

It really pays to have teachers, professors, friends, and colleges that use the correct terminology. It becomes part of an arborists everyday gibberish and therefore mistakes are seldom made. ;)

Shane Freeman
"Total Tree Care & Consulting"

It is more a matter of tending away from careless anologies that can cause misunderstanding and unnessisary concern with the uneducated.

the arborist says "they bleed heavily", the property owner thinks it will kill the tree.

We say heal, they think it's a booboo that will get all better.

Once we get into trim/prune arguments it is a matter of proffesionals parcing language so that they can understand one another better.

Back