Water Gurgling from Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorra

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just saw on CNN about a mysterious gurgling of water from a tree--I think they said it was a red oak. It's a large tree, and several feet from the ground is where water continuously gurgles. It's clear water, and once word got out, people from all over are coming out to check it out. The homeowner has no idea where this water is coming from. It gurgles a little thinner than a typical drinking fountain, and it's been gurgling for "several months." The report said that "officials are stumped" and do not have an explanation.

Do any of you?

Last edited:
I saw this too. They said the tree was leaking 1 gallon every ten minutes.They also said that it was a 100 year old red oak, looked about 30"dbh

Transpiration...

Guess it comes back to the thread on how much a tree will transpire in water...

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=462484#post462484

I worked in old growth logging a little over twenty years ago and the trees there would gush water out of multiple fissures for over half an hour or more like 4-6 taps of water going from the butt of the log when on the ground cut however this was 6 -9'++ dia at 6' height so gigantic trees/logs over 300' tall...:angel:

Having read a number of studies on the same trees (E. regnans) since then it is my understanding they can pump up to 800 litres an hour (could be a day dont rightly recall sorry. Thats 200 gallons I think?) in max transpiration times i.e. middle summer etc...

My guess with this baby is she's found a spring and is getting push from the spring (or water source) as well as draw from transpiration, see what happens as the fall comes through and winter creeps in?

In Aus' "nurseries" can give misleading information at times with their market driven "professional" information and it is with a grin I read in the article that one is considered an "expert" here, no mention of hydrologist/hygronomist or Arborists as experts to the cause?

Plumbing could also be the cause, sounds like a money spinner plumbed in place if one was to be skeptical of the authenticity of the phenomenon...:popcorn:

Last edited:
Another Gushing Tree

I ONCE CUT A MAPLE THAT GREW OVER AN OLD SPICKET. WATER SHOT 10FT HIGH 4- 2 DAYS. SHUT OFF VALVE WAS IN NEIGHBORS GARAGE. WHAT A MESS!:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Latest posts

Back