Way off topic - Identify the fastener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big feller

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Sorry to stray so far off topic - running out of ideas and there are plenty of practical folks here!

I have just had a struggle with an electric toaster which it nearly won. I managed to get the screws out with needle nosed pliers. Surely there is a more professional way?:confused:

I thought they might be Torx or TX-star, but having invested in some sockets it seems I was wrong.

Does anyone know what the name is for the heads on these screws and if sockets are readily available? I can cope with being beaten by failed components, but it really galls me not to be able to get in to see if I can fix something.

attachment.php

Thanks for any help.

Big feller.

It's one of several types of "security screws" - designed to keep you out of what you own...

The only thing that make it "secure" is that you don't have the tools to take them out!

You might show the screws to a Snap-On dealer. He could probably get the right socket to fit those. I can assure you that it probably wouldn't be cheap. I would toss them and use a regular hex headed screw in their place.

You might try taking a regular socket and filling the bolt head area with a 2 part epoxy then push one of the screw heads into the epoxy enough to make a socket. Coat the screw head with a light oil first and do not push it in to far. After it the epoxy sets up remove the screw. I have done this a couple of times to remove screws on a couple of different once in a lifetime project that I did not want to buy the expensive socket for. I used PC7 white epoxy with a little extra hardner. The socket will not hold up to hard abuse but did allow for speedier assemblies. Good luck.

Urbicide said:
You might show the screws to a Snap-On dealer.

I think the Snap-on catalogue was my first reference. I have a pretty good collection of tool catalogues but no luck there.

I wasn't thinking of re-using the screws, but having found them once I just know I'm going to find them again. I'm the one all the guys at work ask about that sort of thing! Honour at stake and all that.

The last struggle was with security Torx screws in an ice-cream maker. They were recessed in three inch deep holes, so no chance without the right tool. Fortunately Kamasa do them for about $10 for a set. :hmm3grin2orange:

Big feller

From what I can tell from the picture, it appears the bolt maybe like a reverse torx. If this is the case, all you would have to do is get a torx bolt of the same size and chuck the threaded part of the bolt in a drill, using the head as a driver.

Now that's something I hadn't considered Spacemule. Nice idea!

I think I have identified it though. Just found a really useful website:

http://www.lara.com/reviews/screwtypes.htm

Looks as though it might be the Nintendo. I'm just not sure I really want to invest $15 per size just on the off-chance I meet it again.

Thanks for all your help.

Big feller.

It's not inverted Torx due to the taper, inverted Torx are straight. Thats a new one on me, but they are comming out with new crap dailey it seems. More of "protecting us from ourselves" crap!
Andy

I ran into some screws like that. I just cut slots in them with my dremel so you could use a flat screwdriver.

Latest posts

Back