We Used This In Central Park

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYSawBoss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We have a wildlife preserve area in the park called "The Ramble" where the paths are quite narrow. The bucket truck wouldn't fit so the Conservancy rented us this Genie 65ft "snorkle boom". I enjoyed using it, it sped up production pruning over the pathways. Deadwood and elevating of the crowns of at least 50 trees in a week. Butch thought it would be interesting for me to post about this little blue angel.

Tony

did my first tree job ever on one of those!! about 4 years back, got 400 bucks to trim back a branch that ran parallel with roof line, customer drove basket and caught the wood.

When I worked in Holland, this is the only type of lift we used, we used the JLG brand, same as the Genie. It was cool, because you could drive it while extended which helped on row trees.

I rented one to use in denver, it had to be delivered on a semi truck, but worked well.

i just love to see how my tax dollars are being spent by a corrupt nyc parks dept. i'm surprised they didn't farm out the work to the high bidder at 5x your pay scale for each climber.

I used a Genie to trim some palm trees. I would love to get the spider lift. The small one has a 40 ft. platform height and is only 31 inches wide, around $45K. 40 ft. may not sound like much height, but if you can get all around a tree and into back yards, it may well do more work than a bucket truck. If you do need more height, you can get lifts up to 198 ft., but the price will be over $160K....more than I care to spend.

kf_tree said:
i just love to see how my tax dollars are being spent by a corrupt nyc parks dept. i'm surprised they didn't farm out the work to the high bidder at 5x your pay scale for each climber.

Hahaha, I lived in NYC for 35 years before moving to PA. Last year I sent an email to the ny park conseratory that I would be back in NYC at a certain date and want to find a great tree in the park to climb. Within 10 minutes I got a call from the parks dept., from the head of the trees whos said, please don't do it, we would have to have the swat guys out to figure out how to get you down, and then I'd be have to be the one to do it. Well, after a nice chat about climbing gear and hitches stuff he invited me to climb with him at another site.

I was back in my old NYC a couple of weeks ago and looking at the trees in in the park I was amazed at al the bad pruning I saw. Guess that is what happens when you don't work them with detail and 'how' it should be. Guess that is a jeark in a lift.

Da,
Jack
(master pruner)

Just for the record (and don't blame me), the Central Park Precinct of the NYPD will arrest any person "unlawfully climbing Central Park trees". That consists of anybody other than Park employees or hired contractors. In addition to that...perhaps the reason you saw bad pruning is really because you saw NO pruning. The vast majority of the tree work that we are TOLD to do is for safety only. That covers the removal of large hazardous leads, heavy weight limbs on a stressed trunk to eleviate some of the pressure, deadwood, ALB trees and the like. Only a handful of trees in the park are actually "beauty pruned". I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but after reading all of the crap that people are talking about NYC parks, I feel like vomiting.

P.S. The tree crew in Central Park makes NO FINAL DECISIONS on any tree. 90% of the tree work we perform is brought to our table via the higher ups in the Conservancy. So if you see a tree that makes you unhappy when looking at it....it makes we NYC tree guys unhappy also. (we are all tree goobers) If the bosses say NO, what the heck are we supposed to do?

Tony :angry: :angry: :angry:

genie lift

ny saw boss,
guess the tread went off a little... work for amtrk during the day on the NE CORRIDOR.. hi voltage stuff.. grind after work,,pick up groudie work, if there's no ot on the weekends... i love those genie lifts... running a 45z 25 now..run the one you had before.. 4x4 goes any where..beats the hell out of humping ladders, or setting up scaffolding....i fly a altec HL125,,got simmon ro 24t 95', 145' with jib,,with a man basket..so damm big for lower jobs, 50' or under. they took our 50 teco away, (1985).. getting a new 40 footer soon.. but i still think the genie is the way to go...

i have used Genie booms no end of times great fun ,but not much good on un-even ground,unless you don't mind working with the buzzer blareing

NYSawBoss said:
Just for the record (and don't blame me), the Central Park Precinct of the NYPD will arrest any person "unlawfully climbing Central Park trees". That consists of anybody other than Park employees or hired contractors. In addition to that...perhaps the reason you saw bad pruning is really because you saw NO pruning. The vast majority of the tree work that we are TOLD to do is for safety only. That covers the removal of large hazardous leads, heavy weight limbs on a stressed trunk to eleviate some of the pressure, deadwood, ALB trees and the like. Only a handful of trees in the park are actually "beauty pruned". I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but after reading all of the crap that people are talking about NYC parks, I feel like vomiting.

P.S. The tree crew in Central Park makes NO FINAL DECISIONS on any tree. 90% of the tree work we perform is brought to our table via the higher ups in the Conservancy. So if you see a tree that makes you unhappy when looking at it....it makes we NYC tree guys unhappy also. (we are all tree goobers) If the bosses say NO, what the heck are we supposed to do?

Tony :angry: :angry: :angry:

ok i'll bite

how long have you been working for the parks? i've been dealing with them for about 10 years now. my big beef with the parks dept is why do the same companies get the contract's year after year when there are much lower bidders that are more than qualified. as a tax payer i just love seeing money pissed away like that.

why are you getting so pissy yourself? no one attacked you personally, just the pruning standards of the parks. open your eye's as you pass by the parks in manhattan. i'm also not familiar with the term" beauty pruning" is that a technical parks term? no one ever accused the grunts , it's just the politics involved.

Well that's what I said. Central Park as well as the other parks are loaded with useless politics. It's the worst part of the job. There are days that I miss working on the outside for a private company....oh well....medical benefits speak volumes dont they?????????

tony

Back