Webworms

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mswabbie

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a terrible infestation of webworms. It has been fairly bad for the past couple of years. My question is: Is there someway to prevent webworms, maybe spraying the ground around the trees at a certain time, or a certain indication. I have a lot of pecan trees and these webworms really chew off the leaves at an astounding rate. There must be someway to prevent this from happening.
Thank You

Since their adult stage is as a moth, they're airborne and nothing on the ground will deter them from your trees.

We have the same problem here. The most effective treatment is a high-power spray application of Bacillus Theringiensis (BT), non-toxic to animals. However I have used dish soap in the sprayer just as effective...punctures the web tent and washes the waxy coating off their bodies not to mention leaving a residue on underside of leaves that keep them from munching them. Also allows predatory insects to infiltrate the protective web and gourge on those slimy creepy little tasty ickies.

In town where the infestations completely defoliate pecans, it's always best to hit them when the first couple of web tents are noticable.

Thank You for your response, my pecan tree are mature and 60 to 80 feet tall, is there a sprayer you can recommend that would reach that high
Thanks

I'm trying to recall Coffeyville from my perforated memory, my wife performed there years ago. Seems there were some commercial nurseries and a bit of pecan growing where someone would have the capacity sprayer that's used to biologically treat stuff, high stuff. If you have numerous trees or the problem is significant (tent caterpillers aren't deadly to the tree) I'd get the phone book out and ask around. A hose-end spraying rig won't get you the coverage you need and I can't recommend you climb w/ a pump sprayer, although I've been known to try that.

If the webs are concentrated I've also had luck with a few sections of a pole saw rig - propane bottle and a torch secured to the end. Webs are pure protien, they ignite instantly without the incendiary side-effects to hurt the leaf. But this approach could lend to some undesired side-effect. Like the reality shows...do not try this at home.

I wanted to ask you about lazer surgery - I'm due for new lenses due to radiation exposure. Been putting it off but driving at night's gotten pretty challenging, let alone bright sunsets while on the interstate. You recommend it? Thanks.

While you're looking for a spraying service you may want to go after them yourself. Take a long stick and swizzle the webs off, then shake the branches and most of them will fall down.

oakwilt is mostly right about their harmlessness. Repeated defoliation will weaken the trees to the point branches die back. Next year go with the dishsoap plan earlier; great idea.

I have a 1200psi pressure washer with a soap applicator.

Works mint, and it's good for 70-75 feet.

spraying chem with high pressure sprayer

mswabbie said:
Thank You, never thought about that.
I am wondering if I can use my pressure sprayer to spray chem into a large pine tree.
cgp

Latest posts

Back