weeping willow tree(firewood or not?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipknot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was offered a "weeping willow" tree for firewood, for free! I was just wondering if it was any good for firewood. All I know they are good for was switch to whoop a kids A$$ with. I don't have to travel far for it, just down the street.

weeping willow

Is it a big one? The bigger they are, the more time you'll spend on the fine finish cleanup - the small stuff is brittle AND whippy and there will be a BILLION leaves. Factor in the extra time for cleanup before deciding if it will be worth it to you or not. Lots of raking involved.

willow will give you about 14.5 million BTU's per cord.
only western pine, basswood, cottonwood and white cedar burn less hot.
even spruce will give you 14.5

if heat value is your only criteria, it's not that good
but if ease of splitting and cost are factored in, free willow with no clean up is a good deal.
if you have to clean up, I'd probably pass, depends upon how hard up you are

Dried it burns like paper, wet it will not burn, mostly smolder. Just about any wood will burn and make some heat, but willow would not be my first choice unless you had nothing else available.

In general, any wood you can get for free with minimal extra effort (read clean-up) will be worth the trouble. I burned a ????? willow back in the day but only because I removed it from the backyard and thus the heat I got came with basically no extra effort. Would I go next door for a weeping willow if I had to do the clean-up? Only if I were absolutely desperate.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back