Sad weeping Cherry Tree- help please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajamiller247

Reaction score
I bought a house in Connecticut 5 years ago and it has a beautiful, but weirdly shaped weeping Cherry tree and every spring it would bloom beautifully. But this year no blossoms and the leaves that finally and eventually came out are pretty sparse.

There also seems to be something growing on the trunk. The tree gets lots of light but it’s just not happy and I’m afraid it’s dying. Any suggestions would be really appreciated thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_9494.jpeg
    IMG_9494.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9495.jpeg
    IMG_9495.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9497.jpeg
    IMG_9497.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9498.jpeg
    IMG_9498.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9496.jpeg
    IMG_9496.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Looks pretty old which may explain some dieback. The "growth" is the graft site from where the weeping form was attached to the rootstock. Did CT have any late frosts this year? Many trees around me suffered from a late frost that killed newly emerging leaves. Mostly they are pushing out new leaves now though. Best to get a pro on-site for a proper evaluation.

Looks pretty old which may explain some dieback. The "growth" is the graft site from where the weeping form was attached to the rootstock. Did CT have any late frosts this year? Many trees around me suffered from a late frost that killed newly emerging leaves. Mostly they are pushing out new leaves now though. Best to get a pro on-site for a proper evaluation.
Thanks for the reply. We maybe had one late frost and that could be the problem. Also worried about this fungus looking stuff on the trunk. I do need to get someone out. Just trying to get as much info as I can before then. I’ve never not seen it bloom before and it’s just not looking healthy.

If you can see 'fungus looking stuff' on the trunk, it could be silver leaf disease. Silver leaf causes gummosis (weeping) in cherry trees. But weeping can be a symptom of all sorts of things, so it's best to call in someone who knows what to look for!

Latest posts

Back