Wench for log skidding and etc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ske-bum

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, thinking about putting a brush guard and wench setup on my F250 and have been looking at the warn transformer brush guard, with at warn 12Ti. I would use this for pulling trees out of the brush for firewood and for also getting my happy a$$ out of the occasional Tahoe snowbank.

I have been reading various websites about this, and they don't seem to have that amount of smarts that the readers and posters of this site do, that is why I'm asking in the question here. Anyway, thanks for any input and Merry Christmas to everyone.

No personal experience with that winch but If you only use it occasionally It should work fine. They have some hydraulic one's that use your power steering pump and PTO drive witch Id say is the best.

Keep researching and ill agree that most forums aren't like AS.

Also think about a quick attach that you can mount front or back quickly in any situation and for skidding back mount will work better. More time and money wiring but may be a better option.

Warn winches are good winches for getting yourself unstuck. There are not rated for the continus duty of pulling the logs out, unless you let them cool down inbetween pulls. I would think about a winch in the back of the vehicle instead of on the front. 9 times out of 10 you will go in the ditch forwards and not backwards. A winch is no good if it is stuck in the snow bank.

Beefie

warn winches are good winches for getting yourself unstuck. There are not rated for the continus duty of pulling the logs out, unless you let them cool down inbetween pulls. I would think about a winch in the back of the vehicle instead of on the front. 9 times out of 10 you will go in the ditch forwards and not backwards. A winch is no good if it is stuck in the snow bank.

Beefie

exactly!

Consider dual batteries if you don't have them already. A trip to a junkyard with a wrecked diesel should score most of the pieces to do it. Consider splurging on a good battery (or two) as well. I can't recommend Optima batteries strongly enough. I have only one so far, but I won't be buying any more conventional batteries here. Friend has one over 10 years old now and still going strong. It is on it's 3rd truck!

A good snatch block is a great investment as well, it will let you skid trees out to the trail without trying to line up for a straight pull.

As said, an electric is not optimal for a wood winch, but with a little common sense operating it, it should work just fine for a long time.

If you get a Grill Guard, get one that's made out of real steel, not that tin can crap. . . And I agree with the other posters, mount a receiver tube on it so the winch can be moved front to back. You won't regret having the ability to use it in both places.

Check out some of our bumpers and grill guards at the website link in my sig.

The site is new, so were constantly adding new pictures.

I use my truck winches often to pull logs with, But as mentioned you will need to let it cool off before snatching on another. Also use a snatch block and it will run cooler cause of less strain on the motor. The only problem i've had was to burn a battery cable end off because i was pulling hard a no cool off period.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:popcorn::popcorn:I think i started something

Beefie

No, Skebum started it when he suggested using WENCHES for log skidding. I personally use WINCHES and leave the wench in the house to do the cooking and cleaning. :hmm3grin2orange:
And then someone else mentioned the snatch blocks.....

Okay, okay, let's get this straight:

This is a wench:

attachment.php

Nice, one, too! :cheers:

THIS is a winch!

attachment.php

Everybody clear on the difference? Uh, if you're not, I don't know what to say, except, uh, keep your distance, okay? :dizzy:

:D

Sorry about the mis-spelling. I was into my 3rd or 4th eggnog and my spelling had taken a hit. LOL

Anyway thanks for the info. I'm now going to start looking at good grill guard with a receiver in the back and front, sound possibly like a more useful setup in the long run.

The amount of info on this site never ceases to amaze me.

Back