What a great little saw, 261cm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

261cm

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I bought a couple of new saws about a year ago, and they are a 151tc, and a 261cm. I have used the little 151 several times after getting rid of the limiters on the carb and adjusting it so it runs the way it should. It’s a great little saw once it’s adjusted so that it’s not pig rich. Well the last couple of days I took the 261cm out with my tractor, and have been cleaning up a bunch of fence lines on my property. I had a couple of big oak trees that had got blown down a while back, and decided to start the clean up. The 261cm is a lot of saw in a small package. Yesterday I was out by one of my neighbors cleaning up the first one. He was watching how good my saw was cutting, and had to come over and check it out. He couldn’t believe how well it was cutting for me, and I fired it up and let him try it out. He made one cut, and he couldn’t believe how it cut and the power it had. I did another section of fence today and got the second blow down cut up, and a bunch of limbs and saplings cut. The 261cm is a pleasure to use. pretty light weight, and gobs of power for the size. I can say I am extremely pleased with both of these saws and would buy them again if needed.

It took Stihl a little while to get the bugs out of it with the first few versions, but it now rocks

I recently pimped out my 261(7 tooth, 18" 3/8 .063, oiled air filter, added small exhaust port) and only just got to use it for the first time today. The upgrade to 3/8 to match my other saws for rolls of chain didn't cause any issues. If it didn't cut as good or better than my ms250 with 18" .325 then that would have been a fail. Dealer said it wouldn't pull a 3/8 chain well in our hardwood. Felt good to me. I'll know for sure after a few more tanks, but it's at least as good.

I recently pimped out my 261(7 tooth, 18" 3/8 .063, oiled air filter, added small exhaust port) and only just got to use it for the first time today. The upgrade to 3/8 to match my other saws for rolls of chain didn't cause any issues. If it didn't cut as good or better than my ms250 with 18" .325 then that would have been a fail. Dealer said it wouldn't pull a 3/8 chain well in our hardwood. Felt good to me. I'll know for sure after a few more tanks, but it's at least as good.

First thing I did with my 261 was put a 3/8 20" B&C on it. Never even started the saw with the .325. Saw has been awesome. Both light and powerful.

Couldn't you have bought it with the 3/8, I don't recall ever having one with 325, but I do like 325 on my limbing saws.
Mine came with 325 and 18” bar. They may have put 3/8 on some of them, but I don’t know for certain. 325 works fine for what I use it for. I’m far from a professional wood cutter. lol

Mine came with 325 and 18” bar. They may have put 3/8 on some of them, but I don’t know for certain. 325 works fine for what I use it for. I’m far from a professional wood cutter. lol

Same here. Dealer would not do a damn thing but take my cash. Biggest advantage with the 3/8 is the variety of chain options. Next, at least for me, is the ease of sharpening a 3/8 chisel skip chain vs. a .325.

Sure it cuts great. 4hp is a good line where a saw will pull a 20x3/8 fine for firewooding, running 325 will be a little faster if burying the bar, and the chips from 325 are easier for cleanup in nice yards.
I run 3/8x20" on my ported 261, and 325x18 on my 550mk1's as I use the 261 mainly for bucking and the 550's for limbing. No 50cc on the market that I've ran handles better than a 550mk1, but I ran a few tanks through my rear handle ms200 yesterday limbing, and I'll run another thru it shortly :).
Same here. Dealer would not do a damn thing but take my cash. Biggest advantage with the 3/8 is the variety of chain options. Next, at least for me, is the ease of sharpening a 3/8 chisel skip chain vs. a .325.
Interesting they wouldn't put 3/8 on it.
Many guys like the 3/8 on their 50cc saws so they can use the same chains/files on them. I have so many different saws and B&C combos, it will be a long time before I do that. The 325 or 3/8 lp/picco does a nice job on smaller branches, and my baby saws and my pole saw all run 3/8 lp.

Folks say the same about the 346. My crewboss has run an 18" 3/8 for a couple decades with no issues. Another coworker runs 20" 3/8. No issues.

Back