What are some of the killers of Red Oaks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliff-1972

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got a Red Oak in my yard and it lost all of it's leaves before the rest.I am in southeast S.C..There is moths,flies and ground hornets flying around and on it.There is some sap coming out on the lower part of the trunk.The flys and hornets/wasps are what looks like drinking it.Is this a sign of it dying?The tree is about 70-80 ft tall and 36" dia.+ at the base.The roots appear to be good and not distrubed.What do y'all think?

Dang:mad: That's what I thought to.I guess I'll leave it till next season and see what it looks like then...............probably still dead:(

I guess that explians why a 5' dia. Live Oak died in my yard also?Only six more oaks left I hope they will be fine?

Here's a good link for SOD:
http://www.plantmanagementnetwork.org/pub/php/diagnosticguide/2003/sod/

If your oaks are dying, it would be a good idea to get somebody in to take a look.
It's not likely SOD, but you can't be too careful.

I saw a study where they stopped people leaving a woodland park where SOD was present, and checked the floor mats of the cars for fungal spores. It turned out that a very high percentage of them had spores from Phytophthora ramorum.

Cliff is also in an area where Oak Wilt is spreading, that would be my first guess, although it not consistant with the "sap" oozing from the lower trunk.

It sounds like not the exotic epidemics these other theorists are guessing at. SOD is caused by Phytophthora ramorum , which makes many smaller bleeding lesions with a little black sap which I haven't seen attracting insects. We in NC have Phytophthora attacking a lot of red oaks but no one has ID'd ramorum yet. It's already here, I suspect, or at least a matter of time...

Doesn't sound like wilt either, but a bacterial infection. Are the insects feeding on stinky, fermented sap? If yes, this is a pathological type of "slime flux", which kills the bark and eventually can kill the whole tree.:(

You need to tap the bark to see where it is hollow, then remove those portions because they are dead. Pull away what's loose, but don't tear into attached, living bark, the kind with hard and bright-colored tissue underneath. After you get all the rotten stuff off, hose it down real good.

Now to disinfect the bacteria: Put a solution of 1 part bleach to 9 parts water. Spray the infected wood but don't let too much get on the living bark or get down to the roots. You may need to retreat the infection later if you see it is still active. It's usually most active in June up here but with the weather so crazy now, I'm not surprised you're seeing it now in SC.

I get a lot of calls about hornets on old oaks, and it's always pathogenic slime flux. Can you post a picture? The usual response to a post like yours is "Call a local arborist", but to be honest most of them have read a 20-year old book which describes slime flux as a non-problem so they do not treat it. They are mistaken, imvho.

Guy,thanks alot for that reply:) .It does have black slap ozing from it.It doesn't stink though.The bark isn't lose right now.I will get some pics of it by this weekend and post them for y'all.Thanks again.:)

Hey Guy, got any more info on the bacteria.

I think you just solved a problem for me. If not solved the problem, answered the question.

I have really never seen the oozing from oaks. Slim flux, yes - but in American Elms and occasionally a cedar elm (U. crassifolia).

Post oaks are always funny about just dying. They are a white oak, Q.stellata.

I quite frequently see the black, dripping sap with hornets or butterflies feeding.

Recently I heard it is a bacteria that frequently kills these oaks.

My massive post oak gets them too from time to time but appears healthy. I had written it off to borers.

Is there a vector for this bacteria:confused:

Previously, I had thought that phytothora(sp) was the culprit as Posties are sensitive to too much H20

My sister runs the micro-bio lab here at UT. I have an analytical chem background, maybe I should find some answers myself:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Originally posted by cliff-1972
It doesn't stink though.The bark isn't lose right now.
OK then it sounds like Phytophthora. Measure the circumference of the whole trunk at ground level, and also measure the symptomatic area.
Search for info on Subdue, a fungicide applied as a soil drench. The guys at BartlettLabs recommend it on basal fungal infections.

Originally posted by TREETX
Post oaks are always funny about just dying. They are a white oak, Q.stellata.
Common here, more sensitive to root disturbance than Q alba. They also get a stem/branch canker which can hjurt them. Most of the Q stellata on Duke's east campus have it, a slow but as far as I know untreatable pathogen

I quite frequently see the black, dripping sap with hornets or butterflies feeding.
How does this compare with wilt symptoms?

Recently I heard it is a bacteria that frequently kills these oaks.
Sample of black dripping I had analyzed came back positive for Phytophthora. Bacteria also may be involved; harder to isolate and ID.

My massive post oak gets them too from time to time but appears healthy. I had written it off to borers.
That was my first guess too; Bartlett guys proved me wrong:blush: Main point is, whether it's fungus bacteria or borers it can and should be treated, imvho.

Is there a vector for this bacteria [/B]
insects, rain, wind,,,

The one I was told about kills them fast, in a few weeks tops.

I just see Post oaks dying here and there, not alway w/site distubance. So I was figuring an ambient fungus that takes advantage of any stress situation.

Those things are so sensitve to changes in drainage, that even the slightest remodel to a house, change of landscaping, installation of sprinkle, and they are gone.

Build a house next to them and put in fill to make a yard. 2/3 of them die.

But you asked about the bacteria. I heard that from one of my old employers. Old tree man with a masters in entomology. Mainly does consulting work.

I need to hit the books more:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Mike Maas
How does this bacterial infection of oaks kill trees? Slowly over years as a stressor,
Or more rapidly if the tree is predisposed. Kills bark in all directions from infection site if left untreated. Don't know how rapid because the ones I see get treated. And often retreated, while the pathogen(s) stay active.

and treetx hit the books all you can but you may not find it. the ext bulletins here don't cover it.

But we are straying from the SC post, which sounds more like fungus Phytophthora. Black and scattered lesions, while the slime flux is, well, slimy, and more localized.

Thanks again,Guy:) So I can use Subdue to possible cure this problem?Will I be able to buy this product or do you need a speciallist lic.?Update on tree.It still has all it's leaves,but they are all brown.The flies and hornets still around it,but no more lesions have appaired.My brother said he would take the pics of the tree Sunday and should post them then also.Thanks again.This is a great site:)

Back