What are the odds!!!???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did that several years ago. I cut a big Red Oak that died. I used to have a treestand in the tree for deer hunting. I pounded a 16d nail in the tree to hang my bow on. I knew it was there, but forgot. I ended up cutting directly on the nail lengthwise... basically grinding the entire nail away. One nail in a monster Oak.... and I hit it. :(

Exactly what I did. Don't that burn yer butt, especially that you forgot it was there? :angry:

The odds are incredible. Probably close to winning the lottery. If you figure every inch of wood in a 100 year old Oak, then figure an 1/8" nail. The odds say you'll never hit it... but my luck says I will hit it. (which I did) :laugh:

many years ago, had an older guy bring in round cut from the bottom of a huge tree (can't remember what kind of wood), in the near middle section was a ax head, looked at least 100 years old!!...........:rolleyes:

I'm still trying to figure out why the 3" nail was there. Somewhere around 15', maybe 20' up. Don't think it was a tree stand, the tree was right on a main thoroughfare. 3" nail doesn't hold much as far as a tree stand or rifle rack goes. :msp_wink:

Yup, the red oak here, when it's straight like this one is, splits really nice. the Fiskars did a job on it. I want an X25 now....:hmm3grin2orange:

"bar ahead" sign, bird house...etc. 27 rings past the nail head.....1985 it was planted there. Hmmmmm...anything interesting happen in your area that year? Let's be detectives.:D

Nice wood...worth a sharpen!

Found a dog chain that had been wrapped around the base of a pine tree once, with the splitter not the saw. The tree was about 6" when the chain was put there and close to 40 inches when it was cut down.

Trees do grow out not up! Cut down a sugar maple and look at the tap hole stains. They will all be in the same area. I have a piece of one that was cut locally that my parents tapped when I was little. I can count 10 tap holes in it that date from 1955 to 1965 the last year that they made maple syrup.

my worst hit was an old sewing machine which was in the middle of a white-thorn that had been cut in the past with about five are six re-growths that were about 10 in. thick it was perfectly camouflaged and looked like a regrowth that had been cut at some time
this was in the middle of nowhere not house or road for almost have a mile

I've never tried to split wood that big without a splitter. That's amazing that an axe can bust that up. The red oak around here seems really stringy and is difficult to split. Nice. :rock:

Your man card now has a hole in it. :cool2: I split a half cord last night that was that size. I do feel it today though.

My family never has had a splitter... Maul wedges sledge and prybar...

I've been cutting up a demoed building made out of old concrete forms and used barn lumber with my Sneers Crappman. I hit so many nails concrete chunks and plates that I broke all the cutters off of one side and half of them off the other. I sharpened it one more time but it did not cut too well. Got a new chain. Then the clutch smoked.

Back