What causes the piston to fall apart?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redmax is a brand name common to the USA

Redmax engines are made by Zenoah of Japan.

In the rest of the world they are called Zenoah.

Now I read in one of power equipment magazines about 2 years ago that husky bought out zenoah.

I have been searching for parts and have come up with #'s that are alike for Husqvarna and Redmax. The piston part # for the eb7001 is 516875901 and it is the same part # for some model in the husqvarna line, don't know if they are identical and interchangeable though.

Zenoahs don't suck, I have had them in my RC Boats that turn 25,000+ rpm, Then I found Quickdraw, A fully Billet 2 stroke motor, They are sweet:msp_thumbsup:

there's really no winning with this package two blower deal I PURCHASED. They should have been $50 each at most.

I just tore down the EBZ8000 to find the lower rod bearing FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF'd. Needs a crank. Couldn't make this deal any better. I should have gone during daylight hours to look at them. Lesson learned I guess. I will be rebuilding it with a new crank but will not be keeping so that these two don't keep reminding me of the bad deal.

I got pissed and went out and purchased a nearly new EB802 for me to use two to three times a month for less then an hour each use. Hope this one doesn't end like the two redmax's in five years. I haven't tried out the 802 but can't wait to try the hush setting to see what that is all about.

Redmax Issues

What happened it this: you got hosed. The EB7000 backpack blower is NOTORIOUS for wearing out pins, I've fixed dozens of them. The design is not the issue, but rather the material and treating process by which the pin was created. The EB7001 was the direct result of this issue being solved. I'm not exactly sure what they did to the new piston pins, but in the 7001 and higher, this problem has never resurfaced as it had in the 7000 and 6200 model ranges. Another theory of mine seeing as how Redmax obviously will not tell me the exact cause of the failure of the pin, is that the tolerances from the get-go were too great which allowed the pin to spin around in the piston rather than the bearing do it's job, so it just wore itself out over time, but it IS a chromed piece of steel, so I'm not sure how it would wear out that much or that quick in aluminum. I was able to repair almost all of these units with a new piston kit which I would get at the time I was working for a Redmax dealer for around $30. I'd fix the 7000 blowers with the updated piston and pin kit, and then resell them and not ONCE has one ever returned. It seems to me that someone put the air filter cover of a 7001 on a 7000 perhaps. The back pad of the frame would be red on a 7000 and black on a 7001, if you saw them, you'd know the difference instantly. Its possible someone switched a few parts over and masked a 7000 they were having issues with to sell to you. It was one of only a few flaws Redmax blowers from that time period of 6200/7000-8001 blowers, and Redmax has since rectified all issues. Redmax is a very good brand and I would not hesitate to use it again, I just have way too many STIHL dealers around me and not enough Redmax dealers to get parts from , not to mention the STIHL places by me also do Echo and Exmark, so I am basically completely covered for parts for all my machines. I would get a new kit, as the crank would not be damaged by this, even having struck the MUCH weaker piston skirt and destroying it, you can rebuild this very easily and cheaply provided you didn't lose any bolts. The cylinder should be fine, maybe a little PB blaster and 240 emery cloth might be necessary in a few spots, but all in all, you should have no issue getting these running again under $50 or so. BTW, don't forget to bring in your muffler for the free recall swap. The new ones are VERY welded underneath, the older ones have a mount spot welded to the lower back of the mufflers, just incase the dealer tells you it's been done to that machine, or they don't do that for these anymore, it's a FEDERAL SAFETY ISSUE, and they are required by law to replace them forever on these machines that haven't had the swap already. Hope this all helps you out some, and maybe dissuades you from writing off the Redmax brand alltogether.

Also, here is a parts breakdown for the 7001. If you need one for the 8000, let me know, I have one too.:

http://www.redmax.com/ddoc/RMXI/RMXI2003_USen/RMXI2003_USen_EB7001,0311_SN40100101 and up.pdf

Just my $.02

I just looked at my email and found this old thread was dug up.

The update to this thread is that I rebuilt both machines and sold the ebz8001 with new crank/rod and complete piston kit. I went through about half tank of fuel before I sold it to make sure it was all good. It sold for enough to cover purchase of both machines and all parts to fix both.

The EB7001 I still have and all I did was replace piston, rings, pin & clips. Still runs strong and I use it more than my 802. I`m actually keeping it around for my wife and 10 year old to use as it is lighter than the 802.

Latest posts

Back