What chain for MS310?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOA

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just got a new Stihl MS310 and it came with 2 chains, a green chain, and a RSLK. Put the RSLK on and it cuts good, but is this the best for my saw size? I dont sharpen, so I will swap it out with the green chain and have it sharpend when it needs it. I plan to buy 2 more chains, but what? I cut mostly 18" and less trees, but I also cut about 25% big locust and hedge. I also run a 20" bar.

What is clean and dirty wood?

Clean is clean and dirty is dirty. Standing timber is generally considered clean, though some trees in some conditions will catch windblown sand and dirt in their bark. Dirty wood is usally wood that's been falled, and has been drug, skidded, or just been laying on the ground and is literally dirty. Dirt is your chain's #1 enemy. It's all about cutter design, but the long and short of is that some chain designs will hold a greater relative amount of their cutting ability in dirty or clean wood than others.

Stihl's RM cutter is better in dirty wood, and Their RS lines are better in clean timber.

You say you don't sharpen. Why not? That's basic saw maintenance man. That's like putting gas in your saw. You gotta do it. A sharper chain will make up for saw performance any day. A dull chain will drag your saw down, cause wear and tear, and will work you harder. Even if you take it to the dealer to have them do it, you should still be able to touch it up yourself. You say "when it needs it." That's a couple of times throughout a day of cutting. Learning to file by hand is simple as can be, and is a "must-do."

MOA said:
I dont sharpen, so I will swap it out with the green chain and have it sharpend when it needs it. ....
You "need" to touch it up every tank or every other, even in "clean" wood, so that is not a very good plan.....:taped:

Get some files, and get started!!!! :greenchainsaw:

You can round file that RSLK and 'convert' it over so you don't have to square file - or have someone do it on a grinder first - then round file to maintain it. And take a grinder to the green chain if it's RM2 and kill the humps...when you're out of something to do...

Filing isn't rocket science or brutally hard. It's finesse. Like teaching a kid to snap his fingers or whistle it seems difficult or unnatural at first because your brain and appendages aren't used to the assignment, but soon it becomes muscle memory and you're thoughts aren't on the task but the quality and consistency...

I'm not qualified to teach filing, btw...but if you don't know how to whistle or snap I can help ya'! ;)

Chaser

I have only had the saw 1 day and I already want more things for it. What is a good cheap sharpener. It isnt that I dont want to sharpen, just never have. I dont now anyone who does either. My uncle had like 10 chains and had them sharpened at the local shop, and just swapped them out when they got dull. he went thru like 4 an day and we just cut on sundays. now I am the only one cutting, and I cant afford 10 chains at $30 each. How long does it take to sharpen a chain.

MOA said:
I have only had the saw 1 day and I already want more things for it. What is a good cheap sharpener. It isnt that I dont want to sharpen, just never have. I dont now anyone who does either. My uncle had like 10 chains and had them sharpened at the local shop, and just swapped them out when they got dull. he went thru like 4 an day and we just cut on sundays. now I am the only one cutting, and I cant afford 10 chains at $30 each. How long does it take to sharpen a chain.

Check out Baileys. They are a site sponser, and sell good chain for a lot less than $30. They also have filing kits. You can learn to hand file the chain on the bar at the right angle with a little practice. You will get a depth guage, files handle, and some instructions to do it.
Enjoy yer saw. :cheers:

MOA said:

My suggestion is this:

http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/5628?mv_session_id=zfffn6X4&product_sku=15202

Take about 15 minutes and it's close to right. I have a H/F electric grinder, do you're shoping right and you can get one for around $30, it works ok, nothing impressive, and takes about ten minuets a chain. The comparison between the two is not even close!!! Nothing beats the sharpness of a file.
Andy

Sawinredneck, were you at in kansas? I have almost no cottonwoods here. Mostly mullberry, hedge, locust, and walnut. thanks for the info on Baileys.

I am just south of Topeka. We have little cotton wood here. I am a little jellous. No big trees!!!

Really not that much big wood around here, other than the cotton and Elms, every now and again you get a big oak. I mainly ut just outside of Fredonia, most run 10"-20", but every now and again you find a nice one to play with:)
Andy

Back