What Chipper to Buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillClimb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What would you guys say is the least expensive, best buy, when it comes to a good chipper? I know that rental is supposedly a good option nowadays but just suppose you're buying.

What's the smallest diameter you would use for basic pruning - not so much for removals?
Would used equipment be a valid option?

And of course, the truck. Is it a necessity to have an enclosed back, chip/dump? Are there any modifications that you could make to a full size heavy duty pickup?

Depends on how 'big' you want to get. A guy I know here in town has an F-250 with a dump insert in the bed and a plywood box. He uses a 'chuck-n-duck' type chipper. (Thanks to whoever it was that mentioned that phrase on the other thread) He does mostly trims and has done quite well. He's been around for over 10 years and has a good reputation doing trims.

Personally, I would never get an old-style drum chipper but lots of guys like them. Buying used is practically a requirement cause newer guys in the business can't justify $25K-$35K for a chipper.

If you can find a good deal on a decent disc chipper, I wouldn't go smaller than 9-10". As for drum chippers, I think 6" is the standard size.

Last edited:
I would never go with anything less then 12 inches. You cannot get large crotch angles through on smaller sizes without cutting them down.

Engine needs to be a diesel, they don't lug down as easily as a gas. I've done a lot of demos and find that 85hp is probibly the best if you are not doing a lot of big wood regularly. The do not slow down for regular branches, getting up around 6 inch oak may call for some watching.

Bells and whistle;

auto feed- allows you to walk away from a bigger branch going in. No worry about stalling the machine.

Feed wheel speed adjustment- If you go from an oak to a soft maple you can turn the infeed up and work faster.

I was looking at a Vermeer drum a few weeks ago and they came down to the low 20's on it. I like their throttel/c;utch setup. Closet thing to groundie proof you can get. $800 more gets a sound dampening packesg that seems good if you are working high-end clients. Seemed a bit smaller and neater then everyone elses too.

CHIPPER FOR SALE

1994 Brush Bandit Model 250
12" Capacity Disc Chipper
100 HP Cummins Deisel
Auto-feed
Top feed wheel hydraulic lift
After-market safety upgrades installed
Brand new tires
Brand new knives
Excellent condition, original owner

Price - $14,900.00!!!

Phone - 813-973-1931
E-mail - [email protected]

JP- I have been pondering a chipper over the past few days as well. I was thinkin Bandit 254xp. I remember though that I had used the Vermeer a few months ago and it really is a nice machine. However I have a tendency to abuse my machines, and also one of the main purposes this machine would serve is going off road to do some land clearing. If I was going to be doing strictly residential work where the machine stays on the driveway / road I would definatley get that. However I am looking to go offroad a lot, so that means that heavy plastic shell is gonna get busted up pretty quick I should think.

Well, personally I am a Morbark man. Dont shoot me Sean (Larkin from Sherrills). I could go on and on about the Morbark, but if you are look at the intake, usually the intake is bigger than what they classify. We will start with the 6" (which nobody would buy for Heavy commercial) the intake on that little thing is 12" X 6". This is true on all their chippers. This will greatly help on the crotch problem. Vermeers 6 inch is 6" X 6". Measure their 935 (9"). Its square area is almost as much as Morbarks 6" and the 7" is definitely bigger than the 935. I always use a rule of thumb go a minimum of 1/3 larger than the average branch you would stick in the machine. If you stick too large of material in any machine it hits at poor angles and puts a lot of stress on the machine. Somewhat like ripping with a chainsaw. The one bad thing I would say about the Morbark is that its feed table is low to the ground. You can get some village idiots (sorry JPS:D reference on what to call you besides Senior Member) That stick their feet in there to push small brush into the feed wheels. The good thing is, if you have a heavy log, its much easier to load into the feed table. Plus the feed wheel and feed tables are much thicker in weight. Put a weight comparison on a Vermeer and a Morbark. Big difference. Like I said, I am a fan. Please do your home work. Oh and if I was just starting out, I would buy used. If you dont see any used machines in your area. I know of several online places that ship used machines and guarantee your satisfaction. Good luck.

Last edited:
I do agree Morbark is one of the sturdiest products out there. I've done skidder loading with the 18 inch models, great machines. They are the best I've used for land clearing.

Don't ask me about Bandit online. I will only rant about them face to face.

I understand the Woodsman are "overbuilt" too, never used one.

My rule of thumb is never go below 12 inches. I've used Morbarks 9in model and still had to cut wide crotch angle limbs down (btw the 12 in Vermeer I looked at had a 17 in wide infeed). Always go big diesel on the engine too, it pays in the long run.

If you want a very good machine for general tree work that is relatively quiet, smaller and lighter then the rest of it of its class then the new Vermeer is worth looking at.

Ahh, they are catching on. I wish I could draw a picture of how Vermeers infeed wheels work and morbarks. I will try and scan one soon and post it. Vermeers is a mess. You may know how they work, but I have some reasons why its not a great system.

Will,

I have some friends with a Bandit 60, 6" unit. I've used it a few times when mine was in the shop. We were doing huge removals and it worked fine. Slower of course than my old drum or my new Bandit 250. slower on chipping bulky small stuff too. But so what. For a small time operation, they are great. Plus maneuverable (except impossible to see when backing) , easy on fuel, less tow weight. Not sure if the Morbark 6" is as good, the one i've seen isnt. And the Vermeer sucks, as the opening is only 6", so renters can't overstuff 'em.

Roger

:blob2:

treeman82,

Plastic???

My Bandit 250 is built quite strong! Lighter than a comparable Morbark, but not likely to get beat up.

I'd take it over the disc Vermeer anyday.

;)

Rbtree, welcome back!!!!!!!!! I dont know much about the Bandits, but I can say the people that started Bandit, worked at the Morbark plant for years. So they know how to build chippers. Their plants are about 10 minutes from each other. I like the fact that Morbark is now giving an industry best 2 year warranty. Plus when you check specs out they actually tell you everything. I guarantee you that the disc is a minimum 1/4" Thicker on Morbark. What good is a website with limited info? For what its worth (probably nothing) JPS, Morbarks opening on its 12" is an inch bigger. I know who cares about an inch. But games are won on inches. So I care.:D

I dont remember a plastic shell on any Bandits either. What plastic are you referring to?

I just looked at Bandits 6" on the net. It blows the Morbarks away looks wise anyway. The frame and especially the wheels look better.

Hi Darin,

If i had the work for a second crew, I'd love a small truck and sm chipper, esp for our many hilly areas, small lots, steep, crooked driveways, etc.

Besides, 4-8 yards of chips is about all you get from a day of only pruning.

But when I need such, my buds help out. They are always willing to trade for the day and get to use my 250!

I like the design of the morbark disc and knife set up, looks better. I can see the need for overly thick plate stock, but expect my unit will be just fine. besides at 5800 lb, it is a drag to pull with my gas truck. And still lighter than the morbarks and bigger bandits. I guess you can get a winch with the morbark and live hydraulics, both of which come in very handy for us.

Darin and others, I am sorry for the confussion. I meant that the Vermeer chippers have the plastic shells. The Bandits most certainly are not plastic. I really like Morbarks too. Their model 17 / 2400 is a real beast of a chipper. I think I would actually have another use for that machine besides chipping brush. One of my customers just stated earlier on the phone that they owe me $100 for my bill that is going to be somewhere between $1000 and $1500. I like getting paid. I hate getting di#$ed out of money. :angry:

JP- it was for several leaf clean-ups put together. I found out today that it is actually less that 1K which is good. I still want my money though. ;)

Latest posts

Back