What clawed the bark off my tree??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmetz

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I live in Tallahassee Florida and one of my tung trees has some very odd bark damage. There are two large spots near the base of the tree where it looks like the bark has been peeled off. The odd thing about it is that there is a pile of wood chips on the ground below the tree. Furthermore, I found woodchips at least 6 feet away on the ground, and also about 7 feet up in the air on top of my umbrella. At first I thought it was my dog, but he's real small and there's no way that he could fling wood chips 7 feet into the air. I think that he would bark at anything big enough, like a raccoon, pack of squirrels, or flock of woodpeckers that could cause the damage.

So, do any of you have any idea what it could be? I don't think its a bacteria because of the flung woodchips. I don't think its my dog because of the height of the flung woodchips. In my mind, that means either raccoons, squirrels, or birds. Perhaps a Chupacabra? Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

dmetz said:
Hey everyone,
I live in Tallahassee Florida and one of my tung trees has some very odd bark damage. There are two large spots near the base of the tree where it looks like the bark has been peeled off. The odd thing about it is that there is a pile of wood chips on the ground below the tree. Furthermore, I found woodchips at least 6 feet away on the ground, and also about 7 feet up in the air on top of my umbrella. At first I thought it was my dog, but he's real small and there's no way that he could fling wood chips 7 feet into the air. I think that he would bark at anything big enough, like a raccoon, pack of squirrels, or flock of woodpeckers that could cause the damage.

So, do any of you have any idea what it could be? I don't think its a bacteria because of the flung woodchips. I don't think its my dog because of the height of the flung woodchips. In my mind, that means either raccoons, squirrels, or birds. Perhaps a Chupacabra? Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Beware of 7 foot 475 lb gaint beaver in your area....lol
Treeman67

Got Deer?

Bucks often "Rub" trees to mark territory or to remove the "Velvet" that their antlers grow in.

The Velvet itches when its dying off and they rub it furiously against trees to remove it, producing shavings like you described.

Either that or it is a Chupicabra, in witch case you should buy a pet gator for protection.:cheers:

Too early in the year for bucks to be rubbing off their velvet unless they do it much earlier in Florida.

Yeah......WAY too early for whitetails to be rubbing. Even in Florida. Their antlers are in growth stage nationwide, live velvet is sensitive, and bucks dont rub anything with them while their antlers are growing. Anyone who has seen a half dozen deer rubs would be able to identify it instantly.

If the OP is interested in finding anything out, a pic is in order......cant do much but joke about 475# beaver without it.

Back