What do I need for OWB equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidsteer.ca

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I thinking I'd like to quit using my 1978 wood/oil combination forced air furnace. Burn time are much to short as it has little control on the draft. Either 50% or wot. On the -30 nite too little of a fire box and at 0 Far I must be carefull not to over stoke. I still use the oil for backup when I'm away.

It was here when the house was 1120 sq ft (plus full basement) and now we have built on to a total 2015 sq ft on the main level, plus full basement. The new basement has 3 loops of 1/2 pex in the concrete that are not in use yet. The main floor has full duct work.

Then 120 ft away is my 2400 sq ft shop with 18 ft ceilings. Heated with a homemade 24 by 36 barrel stove (from 3/8" pipe) It also has 7 loops of pex unused in the floor. I usually only keep it 60 degree when using it and above freezing n good when I'm not. Might just run 2 or 3 of the 7 floor loops at times and build a fire in the barrel stove to bring it up to temp when I need to bring somethin in to work on it

There is already a cement pad from when we poured the shop floor.
65 ft from the shop and 160 ft from the house.
Local CB dealer has quoted me 12.75 cdn on CB thermo pex. Total 2869 right there. Unless I move the furnace between the house and shop, but thats kinda in the middle of my yard, and I would rather have it beside the shop.

No that I've settled on one brand, but he recomended at Cb 6048 at @ $8200usd, but really had no info on what I needed for manifolds for the shop and house, heat X for the house, pump sizes, side arm etc. Sent me home some literature to read, which I'm looking through, but I thought I enquire here.
Also there was a 8 yer old heatmor (about the same size)for sale for @2500, this summer, I should maybe enquire about that too. I'm not convince putting 13k into burning wood is the thing to do, but my father went heat pump for his house and has had trouble with the unit losing freon t winters in a row, so 20k later he is still burning some wood to suplement on the coldest nights.

For local dealers there is CB and Empire/Cozy burn. CB does not install and the Empire guy is new at this. Neither do just boilers full time, its a sideline of their other business, so I'm thinkin they won't be stopping by to stoke the fire if I'm away,lol, not quite the support some of you see in the US where the dealer can afford to do one thing and make a living at it.

The more I look at the boiler price the more I think I should make a boiler out of the stove in the shop, but 24 dia by 36 long is likely too small of a fire box, would be to go 36 by 48 long if a person was going to the trouble.
And leave it in the shop, where the heat loss could be put to use.

I'm located on the On Mn border.

What are your thoughts?

Ken

Last edited:
Back