What Do You Think........?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Oil Patch, Edmonton, Alberta for now.....
What do you think about an arborist firm....

a. That owns six saws, none of which run properly;
b. Has a stack of requests for estimates, but can not hire staff to complete any work;
c. Has an ISA certified owner that no longer wants to be hands on, and apparently does not like to maintain equipment, nor wants to pay someone to do it for him;
d. Has only one climber on a part time basis, and you never can be sure what day he will be available, and who smokes dope on the job;
e. Is chronically late with paychecks, and has bounced them numerous times;
f. Has contracts for hedge trimming and stumping and other services, but can not complete them because all the equipment is broken, worn out or in the shop, and has been for months;
g. Leaves a brand new deep root fertilizer applicator out in the snowbank unprotected all winter;
h. Has but one supposedly full time employee, the only one with a drivers license, who waits around all week for 16 hours of work;
i. Has had all their cell phones cut off for two plus months.

The list could go on and on. The really sad thing about this is that these are nice people, just do not seem to have the drive or desire to succeed anymore as small business owners, at least in this line of business. I may not be a certified arborist, but I can see what the way out of this is.

When I go I can not see them being able to hire anyone in the long term who will put up with the above situation.

Anyways, it has been a learning experience, but sticking around while this company slowly shuts itself down is not in the cards for me.:confused:

What are your experiences working for companies like this? I suspect most of them do not exist anymore

Anyways I will try a couple of other services in this city to see what happens! This current situation is a real downer!:(

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

Hey, Jumper. I've worked for a couple guys like that, they are everywhere in this business. The last one was in the later stages of alcoholism, but still managed to pull in enough work and money to kinda keep things going. I lasted 2 1/2 weeks with him, thank God I got all my pay.
Now that you have managed to learn some aspects of this trade, you have some valuable marketable skills. Since you seem to enjoy this type of work, you should have no problem finding a better company to work for. Pick up the phone book, look through the yellow pages and decide WHO you want to work for. Make a list of the best prospects and start calling. Let them know what you can do and why you want to leave your current employer. Don't be afraid to ASK QUESTIONS about what type of equipment they have and HOW they maintain it. You will probably find your next employer within 4-5 phone calls.
This is the busy season, and EVERYBODY needs help. Most don't run ads for help because they never get any decent responses and the ads are so expensive.
Good luck, and don't forget to SELL YOURSELF. And make sure you don't end up with another non-functional loser. You deserve better!:angel:

Jumper, Unfortunately, the problem you describe is all too common -not only in our industry- but in the contracting world in general. I can't tell you how many times while traveling I get asked about work/bidding at a restaurant or gas station. Most times, at some point in the conversation I hear, " There's a local guy but he never returns my calls or shows up for appointments." In the area I formerly lived in approx. 25% of my customers gushed with awe and gratitude that I showed up when I said I would! This area is a little better but I still get thanked profusely for returning phone calls. Not a very nice refllection on the state of our society.:(

What do you think

This sounds like a large US government operation and a good example of how not to operate. Maybe this guy has some other problems.If you are courteous,honest, reliable and do a good job at a fair price, work will find you.Good news travels half as fast as bad,but the word will get around. A happy customer is your best advertiser. My dad years ago said,plan your work and work you plan and always finnish what you start... It works.But,sometimes what looks like easy money turns into a nightmare.Just play safe.Mikey

Service

I know what you mean stumper......I was doing some deep root fetilization two Saturdays ago, and the customer complemented me on the fact I had phoned Friday, made an appointment to do the work and was there when I said I would be. Great guy to talk to-retired MD. Perhaps it was from my previous incarnation as an Army officer where I picked up these habits! As for the job front I have an appointment Monday with a headhunter for a job as a "Branch Manager" for a Toronto based company-$60K a year to start, so if I get it I think I will change careers back to being a chairborne ranger, not that I will be happy. No work again this week so I have not even seen my boss face to face to tell him I am leaving, I do not want to do this over the phone or by email as they have been good to me. Underemployment sucks.

Latest posts

Back