What flywheel puller do you use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was hoping to find a flywheel puller that is somewhat "universal", and well suited for use on chainsaws and other small 2 stroke engines. Something I can use on Echo's, Husky's, Stihl's, etc.
Anyone have a favorite flywheel puller they use?

If the fw has large internal threads I have several motorcycle flywheel pullers of various pitches and threads, and a dual ended threaded puller from an online moped parts shop, about $8+ freight. IIRC it fits some stihl large and small fw. If vintage with three tapped holes, I just made a plate with holes and center tapped for a jacking screw. By now it looks like swiss cheese with all the holes. Otherwise the brass hammer approach, but I prefer not to risk the crank threads. In a shop where time is money, I am sure things are different. Just whack it.

you pull flywheels with that ? love to see that in use ....

Sorry brain fart I don’t know why I was thinking you asked about Crank case splitters[emoji23][emoji23]

For a fly wheel puller I made one

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Today I removed one from an 029 that I upgraded with a new top end. I used a large flat-blade screwdriver, wedged between the inside of the flywheel and the case. I tapped the screwdriver once with a regular hammer, removed it, rotated the wheel 90 degrees, wedged it again, tapped it again with the hammer, and the flywheel popped right off. A piece of cake.

If the fw has large internal threads I have several motorcycle flywheel pullers of various pitches and threads, and a dual ended threaded puller from an online moped parts shop, about $8+ freight. IIRC it fits some stihl large and small fw. If vintage with three tapped holes, I just made a plate with holes and center tapped for a jacking screw. By now it looks like swiss cheese with all the holes. Otherwise the brass hammer approach, but I prefer not to risk the crank threads. In a shop where time is money, I am sure things are different. Just whack it.
Yes kevinj, I have the exact same home-made swiss cheese looking puller... only I used mine for larger stuff. Whenever I had a different application to apply it to, I just drilled more holes. Made mine out of 1/4" plate.
Unfortunately, its still buried 30' deep in storage locker. :(

For my own eq flywheels I have several favorite pullers and I gently apply a delicate pulling force.

If the eq belongs to some one else and they are not watching I just use the
pry and whacko method with a big hammer at first.

Latest posts

Back