What happens when you loan out your tractor? Pics included.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giXXer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure you already guessed the answer...it's the same as loaning your chainsaw, snowmobile, motorcycle, jet ski, boat, or girlfriend...they come backed really twisted and messed up!

My dad used the tractor for a few weeks at his cottage and when I went to pick it up I could smell the sweet smell of coolant as soon as I opened the pole barn door. I thought that since the hood was up on his chevelle he cooked a head gasket or overheated it, so I chuckled and went over to take a look...nothing wrong there so I went over and started the tractor. I knew exactly what it was when I saw the remnant of a stick (almost a log) popping out of the front grill and the coolant spraying my from the fan. Nice surprise! The stealership wanted $1400 to replace the radiator and oil cooler so instead I removed the few bad rows and had the radiator epoxied. I also had the oil cooler repaired and both of them pressure tested and flushed. I had just over $150 into it including the fluids with absolutely no problems since. Anybody want to loan me their tractor? How about a chainsaw?

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=144596&stc=1&d=1279730114
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=144598&stc=1&d=1279730114
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=144599&stc=1&d=1279730114
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=144600&stc=1&d=1279730114

I guess booker782 is one of the spammers the admin is talking about? I clicked his link and all kinds of pop-ups come up. Thanks! Go back to craigslist where all the other spammers hang out!

recore---costs considerably less---i do them,and can tell you the dealerships think their parts are gold!!!!!

And they CAN be just as valuable as gold, unfortunately...depending on how bad you need the parts. I was told this one could not be re-cored by two different radiator shops because of the side tanks.

Sorry about your tractor.

Thats why if a good friend, and i stress 'good' , wants a little tractoring done, I operate my tractor and I don't leave it at their house !

I would not even loan out my 93-s10....I would help them if need be but to put it in there hands including dad just isnt going to happen (dad does me the same way)

I almost bought a GL3130 like that before getting my Kioti CK30. A shame to see it but figure that the stick had to come through the grille, and then poke over the battery and then finally into the radiator. Must have been like a spear and the stick had a tough time getting that radiator.

You must seek revenge by burning the stick.

Maybe it would be worth it to beef up that protective screen you show in pic 2

(Even if you learned your lesson on lending tools)

loaned a power washer out many years ago, got it back with all the seals blown out, no apology, no thank you. that was nice

loaned a power washer out many years ago, got it back with all the seals blown out, no apology, no thank you. that was nice

Same thing happened to me when we lived in Alabama.Loaned it to our next door neighbor.I explained in no uncertain terms how to start it, and never ever let the thing run more than 30 seconds without the water flowing through the pump.

A couple of hours later they called to tell me that it was smoking real bad, and I dashed over to see what the problem was.There is was,running in the backyard with nobody around and the choke pulled all the way out.they had run the thing for almost two hours with the choke pulled out,and the vibration broke all the ears on the pump where it attaches to the engine.Toasted a year old pressure washer,and then blamed me cause I didnt explain enough about the operation.Never saw a dime out of those folks.

part of Murphy's law states that the more you bend over backwards to lend a hand the bigger screw job you'll get in the end.

So let me see if I got this right...you loaned out a tool to your dad and he bent it up good. OK those amongst us who never borrowed, crashed, misused a tool, car, bedroom et al from your dad please stand up ! Yup not man enough to admit it are ya. Its your freekin dad. Cut him some slack. Its not like he was eighteen years old and in some field with his buddies 4 wheeling with the family wagon is it. I bet he never loaned you a car that your brought back bent up ?

Dads don't belong in the "never loan out to a friend" category for anything. Dads are invaluable and irreplaceable. You can always pick out another Kubota/chainsaw/whatever. You'll miss your dad long after that tractor is gone. Lesson is you should have helped him out until the job was done. That's what your dad would have done for you.

I wish my dad was around to break some machine for me.

I almost bought a GL3130 like that before getting my Kioti CK30. A shame to see it but figure that the stick had to come through the grille, and then poke over the battery and then finally into the radiator. Must have been like a spear and the stick had a tough time getting that radiator.

You must seek revenge by burning the stick.

No, you get revenge by killing it's family and preferably making it watch as you do....JJuday

Looks like an accident more than neglect or abuse. I'd be fabricating a double redundant guard.
And my dad would not loan me a drink of cold water. He was far too concerned with his precious whatever. Me, I loan without reservation....with one condition:
NEVER loan out that which you can not do without.

Last edited:
So let me see if I got this right...you loaned out a tool to your dad and he bent it up good. OK those amongst us who never borrowed, crashed, misused a tool, car, bedroom et al from your dad please stand up ! Yup not man enough to admit it are ya. Its your freekin dad. Cut him some slack. Its not like he was eighteen years old and in some field with his buddies 4 wheeling with the family wagon is it. I bet he never loaned you a car that your brought back bent up ?

Dads don't belong in the "never loan out to a friend" category for anything. Dads are invaluable and irreplaceable. You can always pick out another Kubota/chainsaw/whatever. You'll miss your dad long after that tractor is gone. Lesson is you should have helped him out until the job was done. That's what your dad would have done for you.

I wish my dad was around to break some machine for me.

Amen to that! It's your Dad! Remember that! YD

A few years back I was building a storage building on my place and the neighbor strolled over and asked if he could borrow the brand new skillsaw I'd just bought when I was done working for the day. He promised he'd bring it back the next morning. Next morning I finally went over to find he'd left it out all night and it had rained and it had a nick cut into the cord.

Thanks, bro. :angry:

:agree2:Whatever I have my, dad has,no question,if it breaks big deal.I can always get another saw,splitter,etc.I can never get another dad

Years ago my dad used my new chainsaw. Being that he had a few mini-strokes he put the mixed gas in with the oil and the lawnmower gas in where the mixed gas should go. 15 min later I was out a new Husky. Later in the week he had a hard time on the tractor and sunk it in the mud. I think of all the times I was so upset but I said nothing. Toward the end I let the air out of the tractor tire so he couldn't drive it in to the woods.

I still have that new Husky in my pole barn and everytime I look at it I think of my dad. What I wouldn't give to jack up that tractor one more time or go up and watch dad out by the old stump trying to sharpen that old chain one more time..

I'm sure the day will come when my son sees the crazy things I'll be doing. I only hope he forgives my foolishness the way I did with my dad.

I hope that repair last for many years. You'll always have something to look back on and remind yourself of your dad the way my saw reminds me of mine.

I remember when my mom had to tell my dad that his dad died today. I don't look forward to that day when I hear those words. He will leave behind more than chainsaws and tractors. I have a 13 year old son and don't like the idea of him watching me get old some day. He still thinks I know every thing.

Lost my Dad 18 years ago. Eat the $$$, shut up, man up, and enjoy every second the two of you have to spend together.

Latest posts

Back