what is a good comression tester to buy? 14mm and 18mm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm happy with the Craftsman "deluxe" kit I bought. Has quick detach hoses, probably five or six in total, and has the valve on the end of each one just like you need for working on smaller engines. Tested against a pro mechanics SnapOn and MacTools comp testers showed identical readings.

Sears.com

Highly recommended.

I'm happy with the Craftsman "deluxe" kit I bought. Has quick detach hoses, probably five or six in total, and has the valve on the end of each one just like you need for working on smaller engines. Tested against a pro mechanics SnapOn and MacTools comp testers showed identical readings.

Sears.com

Highly recommended.

This is the one I have too. Works well.

Don't get the cheap turd off ebay. I got one thinking I could get one for cheap and it ended up being the biggest pos ever. It would not register over 90 psi on any saw I put it on. Sent it back for refund but after shipping it was hardly worth the refund and I should have just threw it in the trash or gifted it to someone I don't like.

Don't get the cheap turd off ebay. I got one thinking I could get one for cheap and it ended up being the biggest pos ever. It would not register over 90 psi on any saw I put it on. Sent it back for refund but after shipping it was hardly worth the refund and I should have just threw it in the trash or gifted it to someone I don't like.

I saw those el' cheapos on the bay and their price is about the same that i can get one from the local auto parts store. Then if it is a POS i could take it back without issue. Do autoparts stores rent this type of tool? i know some will rent some specialty type tools. Basically you put a deposit down for the full price and you get all but the rental fee back when returned... so for us weekend warrior type that doesn't want to buy every tool to use it a few times, that may be an option.

I saw those el' cheapos on the bay and their price is about the same that i can get one from the local auto parts store. Then if it is a POS i could take it back without issue. Do autoparts stores rent this type of tool? i know some will rent some specialty type tools. Basically you put a deposit down for the full price and you get all but the rental fee back when returned... so for us weekend warrior type that doesn't want to buy every tool to use it a few times, that may be an option.

They loan them for free (all major autoparts stores here do). You put a down payment on credit card to cover the cost, use it, return it, they credit your credit card. You can even take your saw there and test it in the store without having to go through the hassle.

This works for me as I don't have a lot of use for one. If you use one a lot, purchase a good one.

You always get what you pay for. Don't buy a el cheapo.
Buy a Snap On and be done. Will last you for ever if you
take care of it. Lee

What Uncle Lee says... Sometimes it pays to be patient, I found this Snap-On buried on a shelf at a pawn shop I had visited many times before. The tag revealed that it had been there over a year, got it for $35.00

Snap-OnT308_zps10f1d753.jpg

I also have this "no name" one I bought at Meijer for about the same money. I have used it quite a bit and it works well.

Stihl0244_zps110cfd4d.jpg

Last edited:
What Uncle Lee says... Sometimes it pays to be patient, I found this Snap-On buried on a shelf at a pawn shop I had visited many times before. The tag revealed that it had been there over a year, got it for $35.00

Snap-OnT308_zps10f1d753.jpg

I also have this "no name" one I bought at Meijer for about the same money. I have used it quite a bit and it works well.

Stihl0244_zps110cfd4d.jpg

That is an "Actron" gauge I bought one from Sears years ago and it still works fine:
[url]http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16171[/URL]

I have a Snap on gauge similar to yours as well. The Actron and Snap-on gauges always read within 3 psi of each other. The Actron gauge requires fewer pulls to get it up to maximum psi due to its shorter hose...

That is an "Actron" gauge I bought one from Sears years ago and it still works fine:
[url]http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16171[/URL]

I have a Snap on gauge similar to yours as well. The Actron and Snap-on gauges always read within 3 psi of each other. The Actron gauge requires fewer pulls to get it up to maximum psi due to its shorter hose...

That's the one I have (Actron) it works great as long as it seals properly.

My o ring got a small tear and I didn't realize it until I went to test a MasterMind'd Dolmar. Put a couple wraps of plumbers tape and Whamo!! Fixed!!

It was cheap. But it works pretty good. I wouldn't mind a better tester. If there is a ever a Group buy for one here :msp_rolleyes:

OTC 5606 or 5605
Picked up one of these, brought it to work and someone there said adding the adapter for size ruins the reading. He said even with the valve on the end, that little space between the valve and the chamber with the adapter makes a big difference. How valid is his reasoning?

Picked up one of these, brought it to work and someone there said adding the adapter for size ruins the reading. He said even with the valve on the end, that little space between the valve and the chamber with the adapter makes a big difference. How valid is his reasoning?

He's FOS. The internal volume of the tiny adapters is so small that you'd have great difficulty measuring its effect with any consistency. IOW, "big difference"- FOS. Be sure to use the hose with the short 14 mm threaded section.

The guy you talked to is right if you use an adapter it will trow off your readings. I tried this once used an adapter I got 75 with out the adapter 140. Don't buy kits with adapters. Buy one with diffrant hoses instead that will be a good kit.

18mm on a small engine is pretty unusual. I've only had one engine with an 18mm plug and it was an older military spec Lincoln Welder/Generator.
Aircraft typically use 18mm plugs but don't use that type of compression tester. Most everything I work on has the 14mm plugs but I do have a minibike with a Chinese engine that has the small plug.

Back