What is eating my Birch Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patfan1987

Reaction score
We planted these birch trees years ago and something seems to be eating them..... Late last year a couple branches completely died after the leaves turned brown.

Location is Northern Massachusetts.

What could be causing this and how to I fix it?

Thanks, CT

image_4.jpeg image.jpeg image_1.jpeg image_2.jpeg image_3.jpeg image_4.jpeg

Could be a leaf miner. It looks like on the dead leaves in the picture that the leaves are mined out between the bottom and top epidermal layers. Control make sure leaf litter is raked up and removed. That's my guess even though I'm in California.

Forest Tent Caterpillars are your leaf feeders, more concerning are the dead branches. Possible Bronze Birch Borers. I put all my costumers on BBB control that have susceptible Birch trees of value.

Keep an eye on the trunks. The pics are too small on my monitor to see. If you get rusty spots with one little hole in the center you need to worry about the Bronze Borers. That's what takes out most of our White Birches down the road in MD. Haven't tried the product you posted. I believe we used to use Cygon or Dursban for treatment. Both are restricted chemicals so you would need to contact a licensed tree expert to treat it. But, I can't see any sign of BBB in the pics, Joe.

Latest posts

Back