What Is Edible When You Go To the Woods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are your favorite wild edible plants?

• Common Persimmon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Black Cherry

• Muscadine

• Downy Serviceberry

• Total voters

Garby O'Higgins

Reaction score
Here in Tennessee, you do not find many trees that bear edible fruit, even fewer trees that bear fruit that tastes good. A good example of a native fruit-bearing tree is the Common Persimmon, or Diospyros virginiana. The sweet orange fruit has a taste that closely resembles dates. Centuries ago, the Native Americans ate the fruit and used in bread. Other uses include Persimmon pies and beverages.

Another common fruit tree is the Black Cherry, or Prunus serotina. Conveniently enough, this fruit tree is one of the most common trees in North America. Though smaller than a regular cherry, these cherries taste good raw, and are put in wines and jellies. Its bark was used for medicinal purposes, called “Wild Cherry Syrup”

Muscadine, or Vitis rotundifolia, is a grape. Two types of these vines exist. Scuppernongs (green) and Muscadines (purple). Muscadine berries were used by the Native Americans because they had so many uses. They can be eaten raw or used for wine, jelly, juice, preserves, pies, or raisins. Its leaves can be used in different foods. Its berries are high in vitamins C, B and Iron.

The Pawpaw tree, or Asimina triloba, is yet another fruit tree. It’s fruits closely resemble bananas with their shape and follicle. Its texture is dry and somewhat mushy, much like a banana; it also tastes much like custard. In olden days, its fruit was harvested. Due to many forests being cleared in the north, Its popularity faded. There are still many trees in the southeastern region which bear this delicious fruit. Its texture is dry and somewhat mushy, much like a banana.

The Downy Serviceberry, or is a common tree that closely resembles blueberries. Its fruit is delicious, sweet, and juicy. Even though these berries are sweet and juicy, they are very small. Though this berry is not used for commercial purposes such as jelly or wine, it does reside as a wild berry which is delicious when eaten raw.

The Sand Black Berry, Blackberry, or Rubus cuneifolius, is the wild blackberry that we all know and love. It grows up around fences, (especially metal wire fences), along roadsides, and in fields. This berry can be made into cobblers, wines, jellies, pies, cordials, and jam. Blackberries are high in fiber and its roots can be made into a laxative.

Howdy!

I love this stuff, but don't know all the latin names. In fact there a lot of stuff I ate and don't even know a common name. Once spent a year and change living offgrid/feral wildcrafting all my food. It was a hoot! Hard at times (understatement), but..learned a lot and was the biggest adventure I ever had.

Back