What is Killing this Aspen?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's one of several small aspen I cut last week that are dying or dead. Leaves are dying/dead and core of tree is wet and stained dark brown. Several of these trees were rotting at the base also (with the dark staining all the way from top to bottom) and we are talking 4-8" diameter trees, not large older ones. It appears that "something" is living in the leaves.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

View attachment 311601

View attachment 311602

I have no idea.

We have some arborists here on firewood, but arborist 101 would get the full crew to look at it.

same as here with ours! must be due to the drought and high temps and the extra sunny days.??? leaves are turning black shrivel up and the drop like its oct.

If you look at the bigger leaf in the lower right side you can see 2 oval shaped areas like there's some kind of bugs inside of there. Several of the other leaves had multiple blotches.

On our other property the aspen are dying of cankers. I cut 22 of them earlier this year and another 15 are dying/dead this summer. Totally different symptoms and no wood staining.

Latest posts

Back