What is the all time best chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best at what? What matters to you might not to someone else.

I like a light saw and generally cut small wood, so I really enjoy my Husqvarna 550XP. Someone who doesn't cut primarily small(ish) trees for firewood would probably want a bigger saw.

Best at what? What matters to you might not to someone else.

I like a light saw and generally cut small wood, so I really enjoy my Husqvarna 550XP. Someone who doesn't cut primarily small(ish) trees for firewood would probably want a bigger saw.
I just restored one that was straight gassed and thus had no compression. Here is what he brought in.
Before:
1716504921357.jpegAfter my work:
1716504953867.jpeg
The new owner wanted a 20" bar and a new chain loop. It runs fine now with the new bar and chain loop and without any hesitation. Not an easy job, but I think it was worth saving. I looked at it his way: nothing ventured, nothing gained. These Autotune saws fascinate me.

What is the all time best professional chainsaw and what are its specs?
Professional saw? For me it was the 064. Light, easy to work on, stayed in tune, not too bad on gas, and it would carry a 42" bar if you needed it and were patient with it.

Difficult question for sure. You have to have history with something to form your opinion. Since I worked on small power equipement part time for over 25 years and full time for another 20 years I've seen PLENTY of chainsaws come and go. I've also owned a butt-load of them. Stihls, Mac's, Husky's and numerous "off brands".

For quite a few years EVERYONE ranted and raved about the Husqvarna 262XP. Then in later years it was overshadowed by the 372XP and folks quit talking as much about them. I was lucky enough to obtain a near perfect 262XP about 20 years ago. I liked it, good power and decent ergonomics, but it used a smaller bar mount that my other saws so I had to buy different bars for it. I found the power to weight very good, but in timed cutting tests agains my Echo CS-600P it wasn't quite as fast, but very close. So nothing overly "special" about it. When I posted the results on this Forum of course I got slammed for not buying one with the better jug on it (I guess they came in several varieties), shame on me I guess. Anyhow, it was just too nice to use as a "work saw" so I ended up selling it. I replaced it with a CS-620PW and never looked back. The CS0-620PW is just a better saw all the way around and has been absolutely FLAWLESS for me and I run the bag off of it.

As much as I like the CS-620 the "best" saw for me is and has been my Husqvarna 480CD. Bought it new in 1980 and it's been in continuous service now almost 45 years. For the first 20 years it was pretty much a "one saw plan" as I only kept a couple POS box-store saws around to cut it loose if it got pinched. During "hard times" I used it to cut firewood to supplement my income, and worked for a logger at the same time. It got a real work-out for a couple of years and never grumbled once. Back in those days I'd have to fart in my pocket to have a cent, you know, raising kids and trying to stay above water and all. In later years after I became pretty much financially independent I started adding a lot of other saws to my arsenal but kept the 480CD. Getting older also had me favoring smaller/lighter weight saws for firewood cutting so the 480CD wasn't getting used as much.

At this point I've pretty much retired it, but it's still sitting on the shelf ready if I need it. The list of repairs to it is short. It has had a tank vent installed, ignition switch, and I had to braze the throttle linkage to the throttle shaft as it got loose where the factory staked it in place. That's it. Still has the stock fuel line, never had a carb kit installed, no seals, gaskets, spark plug, or anything else.

If it crapped out today it owes me nothing. If I hit rock bottom and had to sell off all my other saws I could pull it off the shelf and count on it to be up to any task I asked of it. So for me, it's my favorite saw and unlikely at this point I'll get enough history with anything else to change that opinion......

Youre shooting from the hip with this question, simple answer is no such saw/ brand of saw exists. I have tons of saws from various mfgs. More stihl and husqy then anything else. There are things I like and dislike about each of them and none of them are the "best". All but a few are pro grade models. Some are good for general use/tasks, others are better for more specific uses, even then some non pro grade saws are great depending on use. Need to narrow down what you want/need in a saw, then go from there.

Youre shooting from the hip with this question, simple answer is no such saw/ brand of saw exists. I have tons of saws from various mfgs. More stihl and husqy then anything else. There are things I like and dislike about each of them and none of them are the "best". All but a few are pro grade models. Some are good for general use/tasks, others are better for more specific uses, even then some non pro grade saws are great depending on use. Need to narrow down what you want/need in a saw, then go from there.

This

Handles are all setup differently, center of balance are all different. Some are bulky, some are sleek.

Stihl 090 for big wood or milling, 346xp for limbing and 372xp for everything else.
Stihl 090 for big wood or milling, 346xp for limbing and 372xp for everything else.
Your username kinda gave it away, I could guess you’d go for a husqvarna lol.
I have nothing against them but after being kinda ripped off by them I personally do prefer stihl. I would however still love to have some husky’s though

Well, my question wasn’t meant to have 1 straight forward answer but just to be kinda like if you could only have 1 chainsaw which one would it be.
I kinda am in this dilemma because I cannot afford multiple pro saws so I have to find one that can make me work and earn some money so that I can eventually become an arborist and then afford more

If you are looking for advice to make a purchase of a new Pro-Saw I'd start another thread, that way you'll get feedback and advice on currently produced models. Keep in mind here that many of the "best" Pro saws every made are NLA or replaced by newer models.......

Well, my question wasn’t meant to have 1 straight forward answer but just to be kinda like if you could only have 1 chainsaw which one would it be.
I kinda am in this dilemma because I cannot afford multiple pro saws so I have to find one that can make me work and earn some money so that I can eventually become an arborist and then afford more
You need to narrow down what you'll be doing the most and go from there. Then good advice will be given. Tree size + type of wood and use. I use my ms400 for most things these days then, ironically, my 40cc zenoah gz4000. Husqy 390xp for bugger stuff.
Never been a fan of 70cc saws, but till stihl came out with the ms400 they didn't have a 60cc saw worth a hoot. So I'd typically reccomend the ms462. Very good saw, light and pretty nimble good power. Doesn't have quite the long bar ability a 572xp husqy does and doesn't stand a chance against a good 90cc saw for long bars (36"+)

Your username kinda gave it away, I could guess you’d go for a husqvarna lol.
I have nothing against them but after being kinda ripped off by them I personally do prefer stihl. I would however still love to have some husky’s though
Im not really brand loyal, my avatar was just to poke fun at all the Stihl fanboys back in the day on here. I have owned Echo, Husqvarna, Stihl, Jonsered, Dolmar/Makita, Partner, Pioneer Mculloch, Homelite etc... I have fixed thousands of saws over the years, I lost track. I gave my honest personal opinion based on experience. My favorite climbing saw is the Stihl 200t, for 50cc I like the late model 346xp with the bigger piston the best. I like the original 372xp for medium duty my favorite larger saw is the Stihl 056 Magnum 2 with the triple ported muffler from the factory, very under-rated saw and torquey. Big saw Stihl 090 is hard to beat, they pull harder in hardwood then the Mac 125sp with a massive bar. They all have pros and cons and your going to get different answers from everyone. Best saw is subjective and it depends on the person, what kind of skills they have, what kind of wood they cut and how deep their pockets are. If I had only run one brand, I would have missed out on a lot of great saws. What's the best motorcycle? Oil? Fuel mix ratio? Gun?

Back