What is the best top of the line square grinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill G

ArboristSite King
Reaction score
Quite awhile back there was a thread that mentioned a vintage grinder that was considered better than a Silvey or a Simington. I cannot for the life of me remember the name or the thread it was in. anyone got any ideas????

Well I tried using that in the search and got basically nothing. I know there was a thread or post about them.

It is possible I know where one is but I could not remember the name. I know years ago I saw it in the shop and it resembled a darn Bridgeport mill. The shop owner and I talked saws a lot and we made a lot of deals that he wanted to do " sometime" but just not today He was at my fathers funeral visitation and said he still wanted to honor all our "deals" Well unfortunately he passed away shortly thereafter. That was 5 years ago. One of his sons had zero interest in the saw side of the business and just sells bicycles. I now work with another one of his sons and need to speak with him but it will be a tough conversation. His father was a legend in our community and the cycling world.

‘Best’ is always subject to opinion and preference. But if you post a Zieglemeyer for sale here, I am sure someone will be interested.

Still surprised that an affordable square grinder has not been introduced in the marketplace.

Philbert

Agree. Then on the other hand, who would buy it? Most here free hand file their round cutters. Soon after (at least for me) free hand filing of square cutters became very natural.

Once I figured out free hand filing, I sold my bench mounted grinder, and rarely ever think about it, and perhaps once I thought it might have been handy to still have. And that one time was when I brutally hit a nail with a new chain. I saved the chain, and it was a lot of work, but if that were to happen again, I'd toss the chain.

‘Best’ is always subject to opinion and preference. But if you post a Zieglemeyer for sale here, I am sure someone will be interested.

Still surprised that an affordable square grinder has not been introduced in the marketplace.

Philbert
There was a member here that was working on building them. I believe he was in Wisconsin.

I agree with Philbert, I'm truly surprised there hasn't been an economical square grinder produced by now. I can make a round chain deadly by hand or with the grinder, but I would consider myself "proficient" with my square chains. A affordable grinder would certainly help me out with consistency.

It is possible I know where one is but I could not remember the name. I know years ago I saw it in the shop and it resembled a darn Bridgeport mill. The shop owner and I talked saws a lot and we made a lot of deals that he wanted to do " sometime" but just not today He was at my fathers funeral visitation and said he still wanted to honor all our "deals" Well unfortunately he passed away shortly thereafter. That was 5 years ago. One of his sons had zero interest in the saw side of the business and just sells bicycles. I now work with another one of his sons and need to speak with him but it will be a tough conversation. His father was a legend in our community and the cycling world.
Hopefully you can come to an agreement with yoir friends kids. Imo it would be a shame for good equipment to sit idle.

Hopefully you can come to an agreement with yoir friends kids. Imo it would be a shame for good equipment to sit idle.
Well when the owner showed it to me many years ago it had not been used in many, many years. On of his sons has the business now and has no interest in the saw stuff. I work with another of his sons but he is near retiremnet age so I need to talk with him soon

Latest posts

Back