What is the best truly non-stick cookware?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats the issue with current cast iron, its a stright up sand mold finish, and that leads to stuff building up. i have on old 12” erie cast iron skillet. smooth as glass and cooks great. the newer lodge and other stuff sort of works but definitey lacks the detail that erie/griswold pans had
Takes a bit more work....but they still cook just fine.

I've heard of guys taking sanders to them and making them smooth.

I have a few modern lodge pans that slide eggs no problem. I didn't sand them either...had them about 15 years now. You're right, they're less forgiving than the old stuff...but it can still be done.

I think carbon steel is the best choice for new pans though.

i like cast, too! i have a couple dedicated for 'fish fry ies' only! i ran into some dudes living in a high end palace over in River Oaks section of town years ago. we got around to talking about cooking... and then eggs. and then eggs over gas, only! i took note. in general, hard to match an elec element with the control and gentleness of a low, blue flame... but, with an OXO non-stick and its thick alum botton heat sink... on low... and on elec... comes as close as possible!

View attachment 1095980
I'm not a big fan of electric stoves, but my wife is. The newer ones arnt terrible with heat control, still not like a gas stove.

did this other day up at ranch, in my 8" OXO...

about as perfect as one can get for perfect sunny-side up yard eggs...
P1010111.JPG
P1010112.JPG

just tilted the pan, and they slid out.... ez-pz! (plse note the butter!)

I have a few modern lodge pans that slide eggs no problem. I didn't sand them either...had them about 15 years now. You're right, they're less forgiving than the old stuff...but it can still be done.

I'm one that took a sander to new cast iron. 40 grit then worked down to 320 grit. It's not as good as the old stuff, but it works. Definatly thinner cast then the older cast.

I'm one that took a sander to new cast iron. 40 grit then worked down to 320 grit. It's not as good as the old stuff, but it works. Definatly thinner cast then the older cast.
got a set i found in the bunkhouse cabin project i am working on up at the ranch...
P1010121.JPG
P1010131.JPG

i have a large Lodge fry pan, 14". i don't do eggs in any of my cast iron. would if out camping or using on a Coleman stove. i like a good pan fried steak... and use my vintage cast iron pans for such cookings...
1688923057527.png

Folks,

We have all seen the goofy informercials about non-stick cookware. Of course most take the claims with a grain of salt. When our sons were young my beautiful ex-wife sold Pampered Chef. That stuff was not even very good. I realize many folks like cast iron but I am not a huge fan. It goes without saying the goofy ads of flipping an egg in a dry pan are crazy but what are folks using? I would like some real life experiences. I see the "made in" stuff has good reviews.
good thread Bill! i had been thinking about just such a subject.

interesting to read about the many types of fry pans folks here like! and use. 👍

we did burgers n fries last nite for dinner! ranch fries. had extra spuds so cooked them all. couple reds, couple russtes. well, all but one. got it just other day. lol... and all of the burger meat. for extras, ie leftovers. that is... refried spuds sliced in my 8" OXO, burger patty... and couple yard eggs. mite be tonite's dinner... 😋
P1010017.JPG
P1010016.JPG

i'd go for a nice brunch of same, but... not with 97f afternoon in the cards. can't mow lawn in 97f and a belly full of such...

now on the other hand....
:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back