what is the best way to clear narrow path

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowhunter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hello and thanks in advance for your comments, i own some wooded acreage in southeast iowa and am wanting feedback on what the best way to clear narrow paths through dense woods. i am wanting to funnel deer in and out of my food plots. i have thought about renting a dozer but would rather have something 5-8 feet wide, didnt know if there were other alternatives. thanks

Last edited:
Cut saw line. Just like we throw around fires. There'd be much less impact on the woods, but a lot more work on your part. It's not too bad though, we do it in 16 hour shifts.

bowhunter said:
what is the best way to remove the stumps:cheers: :cheers:

dynamite works well, trust me, my dad tried it once and there was like nothing but hole left in ground :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

ha ha

i will just rent a skid steer and stump grinder, dynamite is a little more difficult to come be where i live!!:rockn:

now that looks like a big unit, what does something like that cost?
Would an attachment for a skid steer by loftness (one of their carbide cuttters) work just as well?:cheers:

Deer trails

Unless you are opening them up for your own access I would go along existing deer trails and open them up slightly for the deer nothing wide just make it easy travel. Your theroy is good and will probably work to draw the does in but a smart old buck isn't going to want anything to do with a deer super highway. We take prunners and go along and snip everything open that interfere with a deers travelcut a piece out of a dead fall they would have to jump or duck under.

buggie path

yeah i agree monk, all my acreage however is timber and i want to be able to get my bad boy buggie back there without stirring up much noise, i will then keep it mowed up and cut back. i will not be hunting much of this trail, because there are plenty of natural funnels already to my food plots.:givebeer:

Back