What is the purpose of the AS chainsaw forum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Seriously, is AS intended as an outlet for individuals with a chainsaw to ask questions about repairs and recommendations?

It seems that over the past couple of months it has turned into a public #####ing arena. Threads that provoke only animosity and intentionally try to discredit certain members have been popping up all the time. I am not talking about the friendly ball-busting or jesting posts but the 30 page threads that are entirely attacking individuals. These threads detract from the purpose of the forum and discourage members (old and potentially new) from posting.

Most of the arguments have no resolution, and go round and round. Can't we just let the subject die, and get back to more productive topics?

some might argue that the purpose of this forum is to distract me from my work....It does this quite well. Seriously, my favorite threads are GTG threads, restored saw threads and chainsaw problem diagnostic type threads. All the techincal threads really. (My favorite of all time is still the "cutting buddy thread")

we get this allot over on my favorite rock climbing forum...

so we ended up just calling the forum a "virtual campfire". in other words, who knows what could get discussed, but its all among people who share a common interest.

the problem is that the stihl heads are very prejudice.
attachment.php

Seriously, is AS intended as an outlet for individuals with a chainsaw to ask questions about repairs and recommendations?

It seems that over the past couple of months it has turned into a public #####ing arena. Threads that provoke only animosity and intentionally try to discredit certain members have been popping up all the time. I am not talking about the friendly ball-busting or jesting posts but the 30 page threads that are entirely attacking individuals. These threads detract from the purpose of the forum and discourage members (old and potentially new) from posting.

Most of the arguments have no resolution, and go round and round. Can't we just let the subject die, and get back to more productive topics?

I couldn't agree with your sentiments more. I have noticed that some of the oldest and most knowledgeable members are posting less and less often if not leaving for good. I can only assume that this is part of the problem because it bothers me to the point that when a tread digresses into banality I then ignore that thread from that point even though there might be more valuable information shared past that point.

I am personally on AS to learn and meet people with similar interests. The recent GTG we held was terrific. I met so many guys from diverse professions and breadth of chainsaw interests that I had a terrific time. And everyone of them was the type of guy I would count as a friend.

I have received soooo much help on this forum that it saddens me every time we lose another member who has contributed so much. When the fluff exceeds the meat it's time for change.

Just my 2 cent worth.

Wasted Space

HA-HA-HA!!!!! PB you musta just got done reading the "390 Turd Thread" Too!!

But I agree with your sentiment.

And with your as well 7oaks.

This is a good place to learn and discuss.

Not stir and cuss!!!:cheers::cheers:

I couldn't agree with your sentiments more. I have noticed that some of the oldest and most knowledgeable members are posting less and less often if not leaving for good. I can only assume that this is part of the problem because it bothers me to the point that when a tread digresses into banality I then ignore that thread from that point even though there might be more valuable information shared past that point.

I am personally on AS to learn and meet people with similar interests. The recent GTG we held was terrific. I met so many guys from diverse professions and breadth of chainsaw interests that I had a terrific time. And everyone of them was the type of guy I would count as a friend.

I have received soooo much help on this forum that it saddens me every time we lose another member who has contributed so much. When the fluff exceeds the meat it's time for change.

Just my 2 cent worth.

Amen brother! I'll drink to that!

:cheers:

You are 100% correct.

was mentioned earlier, a little gentle jousting and ribbing is fine, but there are too many people on here that get their jollies by brand-bashing. it makes them look like an imbicile to everyone except those others who do likewise and agree. then those in the opposite camp fire back and at this point the thread is lost. i follow many threads until they reach this point. when the flaming and brand bashing starts i look elsewhere.
i wish the mods would take a more active roll in keeping the threads on track and headed in a positive direction, and have a "private moment" with those who have little constructive to add to a thread. i come here to study and learn. if i wanted to be entertained by clowns i would turn on the tv and watch Springer.

Purpose??

I thought it was so we could all get to know class acts like Fish??:confused:

I agree with you, but it's almost impossible to stop. Trolls, Semi-Trolls and Arguers have a lot of energy. I know it's not feasible, but I always thought it would be fun if the person who starts a thread had moderator controll over the thread.

All great points. The "my way or it isn't right" crap gets old. This is a great place to exchange knowledge and opinions as long as people can be open enough to listen to someone else.:clap:

Doe anyone ever wonder whether the people who do the brand bashing have ever even run one of the saws that they are bashing? Saws are kinda like women to me in a way. You'd be hard to find one that has absolutely no redeeming qualities.

:agree2: I've been coming on this site for over a year and have learn't a great amount of info in that time, but the forum don't seem what it used to be somehow, especially now Lakeside's gone. He was a VERY VERY GOOD TECH. who will be sorely missed.

There certainly has been a decline. Not sure that more vigorous moderation would solve it, because there has been a brain drain more than anything. Fewer and fewer guys who really know their stuff, more homeowner types. Where'd the arborists go? The loggers? Heck, we don't hardly even have line clearance cutter people hanging around anymore!

If I wanted to know what homeowner-types had to say about saws, I'd log off the site and just talk into a mirror.

EDIT: There are certain members whose presence on this site is now and historically has been a zero value-added experience for the rest of us, and their rubbish should be moderated away. AOD springs to mind, though he's certainly not the only one.

Latest posts

Back