what is this wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to say, looks like it could be ash. As said above, leaf description would help. I was just in tennessee and im not sure i saw a single ash tree, are they common there?

Lots of ash around, dead from beetles, but 99% yes, it’s ash. Unless @HarleyT looks it up and discovers I had the wrong serial number.

Some of the BIG tulip poplars here in our neighborhood have a bark very similar to ash. But this pic definitely looks like ash to me. We just finished up our family wood cutting day last Saturday. We all spent the whole day working on one tree....an ash that had started dying due to borers. Tree was near 100' (located in a very tall, high canopy part of the woods) and we got approximately 12 ricks of 21" firewood out of that monster. Won't have an exact total till we finish splitting it. Already put 8-1/2 ricks in the shed and there is still a big pile of bottom blocks left to split...my guess is 3-4 more ricks. Before I felled it, my Dad stretched his tape measure around the base at about 2ft above the dirt. 135 inches circumference!!! The bark looked identical to the photo above!!! Wish I had videoed it going down!!! Shook the ground when it hit! Had to stand watching the sky for 15-20 seconds just to be sure nothing was going to fall on us from the surrounding trees flinging limbs a half mile high!!!

Back