What is wrong with my pine tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARIO LOBIANCO

Reaction score
My pine trees are dying. The needles are turning yellow and falling off. The yellow collor is starting from the inside of the tree and working its way to the outside.

Me thinks you have nothing to worry about ... maybe. Pine trees only hold onto their needles for 4 years, spruce 5 and balsam fir 7 I believe. The 4th year needles will die and be shed by the tree as the new ones break from their buds and grow along with the new shoots.

If this is not the problem, you may have a nutrient deficiency causing the chlorotic yellowing of the needles. Fertilize and water, in that case, as per the fertilizer directions.

the tree is about 30 years old . the other three trees are fine. about three years ago I ran the down spout from the gutter under the tree

OK - my thought now is that the large volume of water from the downspout has washed many of the nutrients (leached) from the soil.

Perhaps limit the water and fertilize the tree. It sounds like it is chlorotic at this point.

Back