What kind of tree is this please?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on how they are pruned early on, they can be cut back enough to produce leaves similar in size to a Catalpa but I don't believe they will do it on their own.

After looking at the close up pic I may have called those wrong, the leaves do look to small be Empress tree's unless that's typical of their growth in that climate. Here in the Midwest near the Great Lakes region they grow unbelievably fast year two and naturally have a much larger leaf than that picture shows.

Far as them being invasive, I have planted them before and it's been my experience that they simply just outperform most everything else, not to the extent that they just reproduce all the over the place and become a problem. For landscape use I think they are a good choice, you certainly wouldn't want them for your wood lot.

I did look and have kept on looking and it does seem to be as you said. For grins since the bloom looks like Foxglove, I put Foxglove Tree in the search engine and though the majority of the pictures I found were the Empress Tree the trunks and leaves didn't match. There was one though that the trees shape including it's trunk did match. So it is possible that there are other variations of the same tree "foxglove tree (Paulownia tomentosa)"
Random Bloggages: Foxglove Tree

If you are far enough south to grow magnolia then some of the evergreen oaks (willow, peach, etc) might be up for consideration. They grow pretty darn fast in S Mississippi, no blooms but color all yr round. Mimosa grow fast, pretty but messy and wood is harder than I realized. Never burnt any. Sunlight and soil moisture/type is really going to dictate what does best. Might want to talk to your local extension agent or forester.

I do plan on putting in at least one willow and possibly an apple tree or two. (to lure the deer onto the property so I can shoot em :D ) There was a couple of peach trees here, but they weren't doing well at all, so I cut em out. I also put in 4 Mimosa late in the season last year since I have seen a couple in the area. I won't know for a bit yet if they survived the winter.

It looks like my Rose of Sharon hedge I have along my fence line in the back. They are kind of wild a$$ growing things too; they always pop up in the yard and I rip them out where I do not want them.
I know next door my neighbor has a 30' Rose of Sharon tree that looks a lot like that; mine are only about 8-10' high though.

Call that BBQ joint up and ask em!

That would be fine, but I had went through 19 states n god only knows how many cities on my bike during the trip. My best guess is it's somewhere out west.

Maybe if storm upgraded from that 1 megapixel camera she was using, we could get some nice detailed pics :laugh::laugh::laugh:

What? You mean they finally make a camera as big as a 1 megapixel? I guess I need to upgrade. The camera I used during the trip was a 10.1 megapixel but started failing halfway through the trip and would only take pictures when it felt like it (unknown to me) I think the pictures would have been better had I gotten off my bike so the vibrations were transmitted to the photograph. :dizzy:

From what I could gather, the firewood is only so-so. Not enough to really get the house warm, but I don't think you would be freezing either. The stinky tree you might be thinking of is what I think is called Tree of Heaven. Never cut one myself, but apparently others have and say it smells like cat piss.:laugh:

Yep, that's the tree, Tree of Heaven, I was thinking that would be no good for burning.

Not Magnolia. Not Paulownia.
Crabapple or apple is the best guess so far.

Definitely not a crabapple tree of any kind. The blooms like like a foxglove flower. But there is a good possibility that it is a foxglove tree (Paulownia tomentosa) since the picture in the link has the same rounded canopy as well as the same trunk.

i wouldnt worry about good firewood for planting beds...dogwoods make great planting bed trees as well as firewood but who would cut down something like that in well established landscaping. btw i have 3 locust trees in a large bed in my backyard, they send up suckers that you have to pull out but its not much more maintnence than the normal weedeing and pruning/mulching. they have nice fragrant flowers that you can smell from the deck 140' away

The first tree I put in when I purchased this place was a dogwood (Cornus Kousa) I think I want to put in one more only one with pink blooms. It's interesting about the Locust since I have been cutting a bunch out. Not because of them being invasive (not proven here) but because they were posing a threat to the buildings on the property. I get a lot of high winds and those ice storms which both tend to knock down a lot of trees around here. I have a top that was blown off one of my neighbors trees that is mostly on my property that I will be removing in the next week. Anyway, I do love the smell of locust as well as honeysuckle. N I know the hummingbirds love them along with the majority of flowering plants I have. If anything I want more trees that could be used for firewood but also attract the hummingbirds. I have around 30 of the little buggers during the season and another 10 or so drop by on their way north or south. I also keep up 4 feeders just for them. The rest of the birds are on their own.

might be rose of sharon.

Ummm, nope, I had seven, n cut out 5. I could almost identify them with my eyes closed.

Don't plant a paulownia, you'll regret it the rest of your days.
That's what I keep hearing, but then I heard the same for the Mimosa. Going south I did notice quite a few of them, but locally I have only seen two. So maybe it is an environmental thing.

Nope, not a crabapple though the leaves sure look similar. The bloom is more like the foxglove flower though. So you can send me ten bucks, but just a few live ones at a time so I kin skin, gut, n process them n even get a larger freezer! :msp_w00t:

It looks like my Rose of Sharon hedge I have along my fence line in the back. They are kind of wild a$$ growing things too; they always pop up in the yard and I rip them out where I do not want them.
I know next door my neighbor has a 30' Rose of Sharon tree that looks a lot like that; mine are only about 8-10' high though.

Most of the time the "Rose of Sharon" only grows to about 10 feet in height. I kept two and am growing two more fresh ones. It seems the hummingbirds like them quite a bit.

This video shows the two Rose of Sharons at about the 2:42 mark until the end with the hummingbirds visiting (or chasing each other) As a side note, that was before I replaced the rain gutters and redid the shoulders of the posts on the porch.
[video=youtube;ojD_INRrfKw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojD_INRrfKw[/video]

I did look and have kept on looking and it does seem to be as you said. For grins since the bloom looks like Foxglove, I put Foxglove Tree in the search engine and though the majority of the pictures I found were the Empress Tree the trunks and leaves didn't match. There was one though that the trees shape including it's trunk did match. So it is possible that there are other variations of the same tree "foxglove tree (Paulownia tomentosa)"

I do plan on putting in at least one willow and possibly an apple tree or two. (to lure the deer onto the property so I can shoot em :D ) There was a couple of peach trees here, but they weren't doing well at all, so I cut em out. I also put in 4 Mimosa late in the season last year since I have seen a couple in the area. I won't know for a bit yet if they survived the winter.

I think deer love persimmons above all things(well, maybe pecans)! Buddy planted 100 on his 60 acre deerhunting property. Probably very fine firewood also, hard as a brick.

If you are far enough south to grow magnolia then some of the evergreen oaks (willow, peach, etc) might be up for consideration. They grow pretty darn fast in S Mississippi, no blooms but color all yr round. Mimosa grow fast, pretty but messy and wood is harder than I realized. Never burnt any. Sunlight and soil moisture/type is really going to dictate what does best. Might want to talk to your local extension agent or forester.

You are 100% right on the Mimosa tree. I had one sprout out of nowhere and in 2 years its taller than house and about 6 to 8 inches at base.Mimosa like wet areas.

I also have crab apple trees and I cant stand them. They do bloom nice pretty flowers but you have to deal with all the little apples that fall. Very messy tree.

You are 100% right on the Mimosa tree. I had one sprout out of nowhere and in 2 years its taller than house and about 6 to 8 inches at base.Mimosa like wet areas.

I also have crab apple trees and I cant stand them. They do bloom nice pretty flowers but you have to deal with all the little apples that fall. Very messy tree.

surprised about mimosa in NJ, they are not coldhardy and usually die back to the ground in winter. I know of one big one in town

I think deer love persimmons above all things(well, maybe pecans)! Buddy planted 100 on his 60 acre deerhunting property. Probably very fine firewood also, hard as a brick.

I guess I need to plant some persimmons for both the deer and for firewood. Who says you can't have your cake n eat it too! :msp_w00t:

if you want a pink dogwood get the rutgersensis (stellar pink) cross between kousa and florida disease resistant...i also have some red canna around the pool that hummingbirds love

Back