What kind of walnut tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnie

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm so excited to find this site.
I have just moved back to a small town in Idaho and purchased a home with trees planted back as far as the 1940's. The yard was not kept up, so now I'm trying to figure things out.
I am told we have the only know Walnut tree in town.

I'm just wondering, what kind of walnut. How to take care of it. What to do with all the nuts growning. I heard something about after the first freeze they will fall off and then collect them off the ground????

How and what kind of purning would this need?

If anyone could direct me to a website or book from the library. Any advice would be great.
(I have also been told the old apple tree was grafted from 3 different types...............should be interesting)

Thanks
Bunnie

Sorry for the cold welcome Bunnie, but unfortunatly I agree with smokechase II. If you can get some pics that will help. Most of us here would be glad to help you. As for web sites for tree ID and pruning just spend some time with google you'll do fine.

Check the link below for basic info. Post a picture here (it's easy) to ID your tree. Take some twigs and leaves and a picture down to your county extension agent.

I thought there were only two different kinds of walnut trees(i may be wrong).
It should be black walnut, since they are the dominant strain here in the U.S.,then there is English walnut. This is what 2 different logging outfits told me when they came to look at my walnut trees for harvesting purposes. I have nothing but black walnut here on my property. If the tree is bigger than (24" D) then it is a money tree, literaly! :) If anything were to happen to it, don't let anyone talk you out of it untill find out how much it's worth. Walnut trees are very valuable when they are big enough! Someone with more knowledge should confirm this about the 2 strains(I may be wrong).

Thank you for those who responded,

Oh, so sorry about upsetting anyone. I was mostly after a website or book. However, I can get all the pictures you need to ID the tree. I'm guessing as 'just' a homeowner, you would want a overall picture, and a close-up of a branch and a leaf?
It might take a day to get them posted. (from moving can't find our plug in for the camara)
In the mean time I will visit the above listed sites. Thank you for those who replyed user friendly.

(I did search on yahoo but, did not find much other than the toxicity issues)
Bunnie

Slipknot, white walnut, butternut, juglans cinerea is also around the continent, don't know about Idaho, though. Other than the whitecloud mountians, and an author (westerns) friend of mine who lives there.
-Ralph
try here, and try just searching for "juglans"
http://www.botany.com/juglans.html

Hey Bunnie,

Welcome to Arborsite, such as it is. Audubon puts out great little field guide's to trees, birds, flowers, etc. Another good homeowner book to have is Sunset's Western Garden Book. I fought fires in Salmon, ID back in '98. Its beautiful country up there. I live in Boise so I can support a family but it would be nice to live in a small town like Salmon. Sorry for the cold reception.

Back