What kind of wood is this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polish hammer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
25F7490A-0C3D-44CE-ACB8-7B5D29B8D091.jpeg B04AACDD-70D2-4643-B7C4-F50EAFBE8ACB.jpeg EF50FF89-AB54-4304-8FC4-74D8FBBE483B.jpeg CE6E49A8-06A9-4856-8D32-84EFCB822867.jpeg BB654914-B7FF-48F7-822D-9EE00FF2AD4A.jpeg I know this question is asked often on various types of wood but can’t figure this out so any ideas I don’t have any pictures of leaves it cuts a little easier then most all the trees I’ve gotten of this have never been more than 8” diameter fairly straight my neighbor wasn’t sure he thought maybe an alder of sorts but didn’t no splits nice

You are from Poland I presume?
It looks like youngish Populus.(Topola) Probably very hight humidity. When dry it burns hot and quick. I like to use it for cheap lumber since it is so light when dry (and straight).
Very common in West Germany at least.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Maybe someone planted some european trees?
Sure looks like Populus. Color, bark the description (wet lands/very straight) and the way it broke in those little sticks.
A leave would sure help.
Never seen Black Walnut.

I have 3 in my backyard, all over 3' DBH, what a damn mess every fall. Guy is interested in logging them but my yard is so wet right now. Some of the branches are big enough for me to mill into flooring for my office, he only wants the trunks and also some massive poplar nearby.

Yes it is a gold mine as long and you can find the fellow who salts the mine.
Other wise it is just fire wood.

Very few mills in this area will pay the money that walnut is really worth, want to pay Oak and maple prices for it.

:D Al

Yes, I have never been able to make money off of it. It's either too short, too many knots, there's always something wrong with it. It's just firewood for me around here.

You can only whittle out so many gun stocks and for arms from the stuff.

There is only so many knick knacky the wifie will allow in the house also.
Burn it and be happy you had some really good splitting wood.

:D Al

Latest posts

Back