What kind of wood to cut for camping?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
What species of wood loose their bark quickly? We're going to start camping this year, and I have a load of seasoned hard maple that I can sacrifice for the cause, but I don't like the idea of burning my seasoned hardwood in a fire pit. I'd rather go cut a load of something else and stack it seperately for the camp fire(s) the following year.

Thanks,
Mark

it's called "camp fire wood", silly.....
they sell it around here in little bundles, about an armfull for like 5-6 bucks........and people buy it ????
we must not have campfirewood trees anywhere near central Pa. cause i've been cutting for 30 plus years and ain't ever seen one..
the only reason i can come up with as to why it's so expensive, must be because it has to be imported since it don't grow around here ??

Locust seems to loose bark easily but is too good of wood to waste on a campfire. I would cut some sycamore or beech if you have it in your area. It spent really have much bark, if it does its paper thin.

For a campfire, about anything is fine. To season it faster, split it smaller.

Pine could be burnable quickly if split small, make a bunch of noodles for starting campfires that you can just light with a match.:msp_thumbup:

For easy camp wood, conifer trees work pretty well. Usually considered junk wood in these areas.

I don't know how far you are going to camp but in Ohio you aren't supposed to transport firewood. Pine is exempt from the rule and makes excellent campfire wood IMHO.

What species of wood loose their bark quickly? We're going to start camping this year, and I have a load of seasoned hard maple that I can sacrifice for the cause, but I don't like the idea of burning my seasoned hardwood in a fire pit. I'd rather go cut a load of something else and stack it seperately for the camp fire(s) the following year.

Thanks,
Mark

Tulip or yellow poplar or ash. Seasons the quickest, both easy to split. Let the poplar sit a week first until it checks a little, then it splits like a dream. Green it is kinda rubbery and splits harder, just a scosh of checking, splits as easy as it gets.

Tulip poplar is one that I was thinking of. Never cut any of it for firewood, so I wasn't sure how quick it lost its bark. I've cut a few that were damaged and in the way, and they sure do cut and split easy :) Beech is another option, but again, I've never cut any of it for firewood. I have access to quite a bit of it, and I've heard its pretty decent firewood, but doesn't keep for very long. Over the past few years I've had a lot of access to hickory, locust, and oak, so I haven't bothered with the beech so I'm not familiar with how long it takes to loose the bark either. I don't care so much about how thick the bark is. I don't plan on pealing it, I want it to fall off :)

Thanks,
Mark

Tulip poplar is one that I was thinking of. Never cut any of it for firewood, so I wasn't sure how quick it lost its bark. I've cut a few that were damaged and in the way, and they sure do cut and split easy :) Beech is another option, but again, I've never cut any of it for firewood. I have access to quite a bit of it, and I've heard its pretty decent firewood, but doesn't keep for very long. Over the past few years I've had a lot of access to hickory, locust, and oak, so I haven't bothered with the beech so I'm not familiar with how long it takes to loose the bark either. I don't care so much about how thick the bark is. I don't plan on pealing it, I want it to fall off :)

Thanks,
Mark

You can just carefully slab off the outside inch of the poplar, then make regular splits. Itll dry real dang fast then. We use it a lot here for winter firewood, it is well mixed into my wood rotation. Good for the mornings and spring and fall. I find it the easiest standing tree to in the stove processing wood there is. Cuts clean and easy, the trunks make real nice blocks, splits easy once the rounds are checked just a little.

For easy camp wood, conifer trees work pretty well. Usually considered junk wood in these areas.

x2 It's perfect campfire wood UNLESS you plan on cooking directly over it.

Pine is a nuisance in my area. You can't give it away. I still have 9 dying pines and 3 completely dead (all 18"-24" dbh) in my backyard. The bark pulls off with ease and dries super fast.

Hmm, never really took camping wood until recently. Always scavenged for it, but now that I cut it, I take it with me now. Actually have some seasoned Maple I saved for camp wood, and one swedish candle left.

Plan on using it this weekend as am going out for the first leek dig of the season, spring has arrived. :)

As was said, check with your state DNR, as transportation of wood across county lines may be prohibited.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
For campfires, anything goes. don't matter if it burns short or long. what tickles me is why do people want a fire in the middle of summer. I know it's neat to look at,but some around here will sit around a fire when it's over 100.:hmm3grin2orange:

Just something about a campfire. :)

But will be for cooking and heat this weekend, as highs in the upper 70s are giving way to highs in the lower 40s by the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Campgrounds sell mixed hardwood around here. Most campers seem to pick thru and load up with sycamore if they are given a choice.

Pine burns hot- readily available and cheap. Mix 50/50 with hardwood and you can't go wrong. Kids love the sparks set off from the sap pockets.

I do have some pine left from trees that I took down 5 years ago. I hate pine trees! The fires that I've had in the back yard have always either been for getting rid of brush, or for cooking, so I've had a hard time getting it used up. I should be able to get it used up this summer :) I've got some seasoned hard maple that's loosing its bark now. The trees were logged in the winter of 10/11 and I cut the tops late last winter. I never did get it stacked. I'll make some room for it in another location and replace it with yet another load of white oak. :)

depending what part of country are in burn alder or mesquite ,then when you cook burgers or hot dogs over it get the good smoke taste in the meat :msp_biggrin:

Agreed with the suggestion of poplar and sycamore. Both dry comparatively fast after being split. Both are fairly light in weight... not like schlepping splits of maple or oak. And sycamore really has no bark to speak of anyway.

We'd scrounge sycamore limbs around the swimming hole, cut it up with a bowsaw. It makes a nice, hot campfire. :)

Latest posts

Back