What Kind of Worms/Grubs are these?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jensen 32000

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was splitting some Oak with some rotted areas, and these came out of a piece that seemed full of soil. Are these normal size? I'm curious, Thank You Mike.

Mine are bigger than yours, nya nya na nya nya. Forund these when excavating a hollow oak during a risk assessment (the tree will stand, tho 40% hollow). 3 wheelbarrows of compost came out before i hit the nest. Hope the pic is the right size.

as for what kind; some beetle larva I'm guessing; need a good closeup and a good key to say exactly.

Wow that was fun; here's another occupant of the hollow that will NOT fit on a fishing hook:

MasterBlaster said:
They have an unusual taste, not like you'd think.
The flavor of insects is a topic I rarely ponder. Has Timon the Meerkat taken over the Ballowe computer? Or has my leg been pulled and Blasted?

witchetty grubs,my indiginous brothers love them.usually found in the roots of acacias,best grilled before eating.

treeseer said:
Hope the pic is the right size.

Wow that was fun; here's another occupant of the hollow that will NOT fit on a fishing hook:

Is it a baby coon?

Here is Guys friendly sized imbeded pics.

attachment.php

As to the grubs, they look like the normal large variety we have here.

Do not eat them, they are not witchetty grubs!

They could be a variety of beetle grubs ... called cockchafers, lawn grubs etc.

We get heaps of them here and I've put some pics together to show you what witchetty grubs look like and what these other little devils are.

Note the difference, especially in the legs, witchetty grubs are more like caterpillars

Hi Mike, those are Junebug Larva and make great bait for fishing. Natural bait in it's natural state.
Anyway, a few years back I sent some thru the mail to a friend in B.C. for fishing and they were quite alive and well when he got them. They have some wicked pincers and can really bite.
John

Latest posts

Back