What max rpm on 200T?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can't find it in manual or on Stihl site. Wtf? Anyone know what the max engine speed is for an MS200T? I think its 13500 but not sure.

Thanks

Dean

about 15,500, I think. Lakeside will soon chime in and tell us fo' sho

DeanBrown3D said:
Can't find it in manual or on Stihl site. Wtf? Anyone know what the max engine speed is for an MS200T? I think its 13500 but not sure.

Thanks

Dean

13,500 is abit low for a MS200T. Mine runs right at 15,300. They turn alot of rpms...

Oh, ok, that's good! Becaue it was running over 15K!

Can you guys help me here I can't figure this one out. The saw when warm runs perfectly, accelerates smoothly even if I max out the throttle quickly. Rpms are around 13800-14000. But it seems to get hot after some use, for example today even after I was idling it when adjusting it. Then the accel is poor and I need to blip the trigger. Sometimes it cuts out like its run out of gas. I tried opening the tank and after that I couldn't start it for a while. Some light smoke was coming off the bar oil near the clutch. Rpms over 15000.

I let it cool down, checked and cleaned the spark plug (it was light brown, no oil on it), cleaned the spark arrester (it was clear), and tried again. As when it was just warm, it flew perfectly. Are these saws meant to be used continuously or not?

Cheers,

Dean

TreeCo said:
I set my at 14,500 no load except bar and chain with a tack.

While we are on the subject of the MS200......

.......Thall you got any good ideas on a faster cutting chain than the stock chain that comes on the 200? I have ground the tri safety humps off of mine but it's time consuming and it's still not a chipper chain.

Dan
I use the standard 63PM chain, not 63PM1. The 63PM has no safety straps. Has a slightly round cutter and works great on the 200T and is a breeze to sharpen...

TreeCo said:
I set my at 14,500 no load except bar and chain with a tack.

While we are on the subject of the MS200......

.......Thall you got any good ideas on a faster cutting chain than the stock chain that comes on the 200? I have ground the tri safety humps off of mine but it's time consuming and it's still not a chipper chain.

Dan

14,000 +/- 500 rpm is what the factory calls for (with bar and chain) but I see a lot that get cranked up just over 15k. I aways set them back to 14k with a clean air filter out of the store, just to be safe ,but anywhere in the 14-15k mark is probably o.k. once the saw was has hours on it. We're talking about a 1/16 turn here, so it's hard to set and have it hold exact over a day or so.

Chain - Thal has it right - all we sell out here for the 200t is 63PM (not PM1).. Great chain...

Last edited:
DeanBrown3D said:
Are these saws meant to be used continuously or not?

Of course they are. There's been several threads around these parts recently about saws acting up when it gets hot. Heck, it's summer time. Could be alot of things. I just dealt with an 036 that would die and not start hot. That was an air leak. Could be the coil getting hot, as that's often manifested by the saw just not wanting to run at all until it cools down.

The 200T is a hot little fast saw. But if you're getting significantly more RPM's hot than you are cold, could be an air leak creating a lean condition for you.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the max RPM's for the 200T are 14,000 or 14,500, and I'll keep mine just on the fast side of that, as I have my screen out.

Jeff

DeanBrown3D said:
Oh, ok, that's good! Becaue it was running over 15K!

Can you guys help me here I can't figure this one out. The saw when warm runs perfectly, accelerates smoothly even if I max out the throttle quickly. Rpms are around 13800-14000. But it seems to get hot after some use, for example today even after I was idling it when adjusting it. Then the accel is poor and I need to blip the trigger. Sometimes it cuts out like its run out of gas. I tried opening the tank and after that I couldn't start it for a while. Some light smoke was coming off the bar oil near the clutch. Rpms over 15000.

I let it cool down, checked and cleaned the spark plug (it was light brown, no oil on it), cleaned the spark arrester (it was clear), and tried again. As when it was just warm, it flew perfectly. Are these saws meant to be used continuously or not?

Cheers,

Dean

Yes they can be used "continuously". Take off the recoil side cover. It's probably packed in with crap, and glued/baked onto the cylinder fins. Clean everything out with 3:1 diluted purple cleaner (you need it to get the resins off the cylinder fins and flywheel) and wash with plenty of of water (garden hose).

When you have it clean, check the impulse hose . It may be kinked or pinched where it goes though the top case. Bore our the case to 1/4 inch (the earlier units has a square hole) and put on a new impulse hose (just STIHL fuel hose)

Ok I will clean under the recoil and check the hose isn't pinched. If it is an air leak, what are my options? Its only got about 20-30 hours on it.

Almost all air leaks on 200t's are the boot, followed by the flywheel side crank seal. Kind a pain to pressure test as the muffler is hard to get to with the rubber seal (I use an old muffler that has been cut away to seal the exhaust). The seals are even more of a pain as they are not the normal Metal/rubber type - you basically break out the old seal with a sharpened screwdriver (don't damages the crank, case or bearing!!!...). The puller hooks that fit the seal puller Stihl supplies are pretty much worthless.

I doubt if you have bad seals on a unit that low in time..

I'd just replace the impulse hose while you're in there.. It's less than $1.00

Nope... the fuel hose is the fuel hose, and the impulse hose is the impulse hose, but it's MADE of Fuel hose...It's called an impulse hose because it carries the pressure/vac impulses from the crankcase to the carb fuel pump.

DeanBrown3D said:
Ok I will clean under the recoil and check the hose isn't pinched. If it is an air leak, what are my options? Its only got about 20-30 hours on it.

On a unit with so little hours, I would think it would be under warrantee? Check with your dealer before you start tearing into it and void it.
Good luck.

fishhuntcutwood said:
Sweet!

Fishhuntcutwood- 1 pt.

Lakeside53- 2,148 pts.

Keeping score huh,lol. Tell me Fish have you ever seen anyone like Lake? I mean that guy is a walking book of Stihl knowledge, he amazes me to no end..

Back