What should I do with these trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoGreenThumb

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a new homeowner, and I have these trees in my yard. I really would like to take care of them, but I don't know what type they are. The house was built 3 years ago, so the trees are probably relatively young. Also, there is a rododendrum bush planted in between 2 of the trees. I don't what the previous owners were thinking, but I've heard they need room to grow. Should I uproot it and move it? Any advice is appreciated. I don't want these trees to die. I live in the Seattle area, so I think there should be enough rain in the winter. I've taken a few pics. One of them is a close-up of the leaves/branches. Thanks so much.

No Green Thumb,

It looks to be some sort of Juniper, or possibly a type of ornamental cedar. If you could positively identify the species it would help you to determine if you wii have enough space.

Brent

Thanks for your response Brent. Are you saying that the trees are junipers? Or are you saying that the rododendrum is actually a Juniper? The reason I say that it is a rododendrum is that there is a tag still on the plant that says it is a rododendrum. I can post a close up photo of it if you like.

Gene

The shrub in the middle is definitley a rhody, a sickly looking one albeit. Some type of cedar for the "trees". I would suggest that the "trees" appear to be planted way to close to the fence at least that's how it appears in the pictures.

Looks like some type of juniper from here, probably planted to screen off the fence. Hard to tell from pics how much room they actually have to grow. looks like they were planted in a raised bed of some sort so its hard to predict survival rate without knowing what type of soil they are planted in. The raised bed with rock at base for drainage will definitly need more water than if this was a flat planting site. As for the rhody I would definitly move it and give it some miracle grow, it looks like it burning up in the sun. They grow better in a partially shaded area and love acid rich soil similiar to azaela family.

Those trees appear to be a cedar "shrub" variety. Could be wrong.
If so, they are commonly trimmed heavily. You can regulate the height/width to the point of extreme discipline.
Whatever they are. Too close to the fence for sure.
Juniper and cedar are actually distant relatives.
Many places on the net for info. Perhaps
http://www.cfl.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/imfoc-idwcf/hosttrees/conifers/thuya_e.html
would help.

Hey Dan thanks for making that link. The author Erv Evans was my Master Gardener instructor way back. In his class he showed a picture of a redcedar and I ID'd it as a Juniperus. He called that wrong, which led to one of those scientific-name conversations...

The trees are not thuja or juniperus or cedrus imo but chamaecyparis, yes an arborvitae. yes they are too close to the fence; this will not end their lives but it will disfigure them.

Since they're so small, why not move them this winter and get the spacing right. ye sget that poor rhodie out of there too; why not cultivate beds in other parts of your yard? To find a good local arborist see www.plantamnesty.org

They look to me like Emerald Green Arborvitae. I planted about 65 of them directly against a 3 foot wood fence. Te reason was to keep my large dogs from jumping up or over the fence. Also, with a cedar fence, if you want to keep in in good health, you need to have it sprayed every 4-6 years and the main culprit is sun and rain. The protection the arborvitae will give the fence over time will lessent the need to spend money on staining your fence. They may die out on the fence side but you won't see that side any way. I would think they are fine right where they are.

Back