What the..... Hows this %$#&^% muff mod?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The left screw had threads were stripped in the exhaust flange.

Had to remove the muffler to fix the threads, and when taking the right screw out, I went to loosen it with a 27 torx drill driver and it spun inside the screw down inside a recessed 2" hole.

This model is notorious for the left hand screw taking a hike.

About every 50th saw you get to drill the head completely off the screw to remove the muffler. No biggie with the right drill bit.
Come to find out (later)...there was an old broken tip of a hardened drill driver stuck in the head of the screw, from whom ever repaired it last.
I made zero headway with cobalt drill bits, and there were pieces of the baffle rattling around inside the muffler. I could see tiny holes from detatched spot welds in the front of the muffler, so I had nothing to lose by destroying the muffler. I started tin snipping the stubborn b a s t a r d to gain access, so I could get some vise grips on the head.Resized_20161014_171702.jpegLooks like an alquida muffler.

The left hand threads were stripped.

The right hand screw had to come out to fix the left hand threads.
Went to loosen it with a 27 torx drill driver and it spun inside the screw down inside a recessed 2" hole.

Common after a couple years.

About every 50th saw you get to drill the head off to remove the muffler. No biggie. Come to find out...there was an old broken tip of a drill driver stuck in the head of the screw, from whom ever repaired it last.
I made zero headway with cobalt drill bits, and there were pieces of the baffle rattling around inside the muffler. I could see tiny holes from detatched spot welds in the front of the muffler, so I had nothing to lose, so I started tin snipping the stubborn b a s t a r d to gain access, so I could get some vise grips on the head.
Talk about taking the long way around, and I most certainly know the feeling.
ADLM

Back