What to buy...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The special tool for the carb is available on eBay for a couple bucks. Can't remember which one it is, D shaped or Pac man maybe. Someone will be along shortly to let us know.

Edited to add, OP, since you already know your way around these one lung engines, you may already know this, but chainsaws like to run at only two throttle positions. Idle and WOT. Any time you are cutting you should have the throtte pegged. Obviously when the chain isn't in wood, let it idle, but what I'm getting at is that the saw doesn't want to be at half throttle in a cut. It can create a lean running condition.

Oh, you mean, like the way I drive... Being an IT guy with a sports car, I had the customer Binary gas pedal installed ;-) Yeah, excellent point. I learned that with my 2-stroke weed eater years ago; It didn't really like half throttle. They should just make them push-button. LOL

On a related note, I had fun riding up steep hills on my friend Yamaha Banshee; You just peg the throttle and climb right up the hill. Didn't care much for it on more technical trails though. Much prefer my 4-stroke quads for trail riding. :)

BTW, I wanted to mention that I both wrote (via Amazon) and called Maruyama directly, and every I had contact with them, their customer service was great. They replied quickly, answered my questions fully, etc. I was urgently awaiting my chainsaw to get down the tree threatening my house, and they bent over backwards to really take care of it. The saw started, ran, and cut great. Pretty impressed so far.

I have a bad back and more 50cc saws than I need but after several days of denial I broke down and ordered one of these. It ended up being 279.99 shipped because I applied for the Amazon credit card.

LOL, well, I'll be interested to hear your [likely much more experienced with saws than me] view of this saw and it's performance. :)

When this saw arrived my first impression was it is on the heavier side, but it looked well built and came with all the goodies. It started easy, and sounded like it was in tune, so I ran a couple tanks through it. It seemed to rip pretty good, which I expected, but what really impressed me was how smooth it seemed. After a couple of tanks I pulled the plug, which looked about right, but used a solderless terminal to fatten it up a 1/2 turn just for peace of mind. (I don't have a tach) I've never had much luck trying to engrave slots in needle valve screws when they are on the saw so after a few more tanks run time I'll take them out, slot them, a retune it. All things considered, I'm really happy with this saw. A buddy of mine just paid more money (after sales tax) for a Stihl 250 and in my mind the Maruyama /Dolmar wins hands down. This has to be one of the best bargains available right now for a 50 cc saw.

A solderless terminal fit in there? Interesting.

Have you considered buying a set of drivers like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-A...ons&keywords=carburetor+adjustment+tool&psc=1

I like having tools, so I will probably pick up something like this...

I should probably pull my plug and look at it. Hadn't thought to do that yet. Should I expect anything different on the plug in a two-stroke engine vs a four-stroke engine? (I've not looked at many 2-stroke plugs).

As for the weight, it felt a little heavier than expected, but was lighter than other things I had looked at, so I'm glad I got the lighter saw. Given that I haven't done a lot of sawing, I definitely noticed some muscles I hadn't thought about in a while. ;-) I think a lot of that was because of the specific job I was doing, which was a fair amount of cutting with having to lift the saw to nearly shoulder level while cutting sections of tree from the top down to keep it from falling on my house. When I just cut up some other limbs and an old Christmas tree that were on the ground, it was definitely easier. :)

I actually looked at those and should have bought them, but bought a single splined tool that I needed because I didn't think I would use the others. The one I bought wouldn't fit the saw I bought it for so I ended up using a thin piece of copper tubing to extract the needle and cut a slot in it. Hindsight being 20/20, I might just buy the kit and be done with it. I guess I'm in denial as I told myself selling saws was in the future, not buying!

Back