What to buy...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, its about time someone makes a plug for Stihl. For a good all around saw, I've a lot of luck with my Stihl 026. It runs best with an 18in. bar but will run a 20 if need be, but let me tell you. That saw is SWEEEEET! I would also recommend the 028 as good candidate, but I have never personally owned one. As for something a little newer. I would recommend something like an MS250. Yes, I know its considered a "homeowner" saw. However, My dad has owned one for 12 years and used it as his primary firewood saw. It works great with an 18in. bar, and does not feel flimsy or sloppy as most homeowner saws do.

As for price, here in Indiana I see good working Stihl 028s and 026s sell on craigslist for $150-$300. The higher the price the nicer the saw, and believe me they are worth it.

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. I can't get away from my Stihl bias. :D
Good luck with your Maruyama!.

No worries, I hear they're great saws, and was looking for some used ones in the area, but they tended to be pretty spending and mostly seemed to be around 12-15 years old, which might be fine, but it's taking a chance on a used one, and many of them were still in the high $200 to low $300, and it was hard to pass up a new, good quality saw for the same price. Plus my wife was bugging me to "just get a new one," so at that point, if I paid $250-300 for a used one, and it turned out to be in rougher shape than expected or otherwise had problems, then I'd get the good ole 'told ya so. LOL.

for the amazon $$$ i considering one of those myuckymucks myself--lol

i might just get a mikata/dolmat 64xxx instead ---though

If you want a bigger beast, I would opt for a 6100 (newer design, same power but less thirsty and lighter) or a 7900 (same as a 6400 but more powahhhhh). Funnily enough all in the same price range over here.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

That is a good point. But are they that much cheaper on your side of the pond? Over here it is a 50 euro difference. You might even find a 7900 cheaper than a 6400.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

out here 64xx are quite a bit less-- saw a new one the other day for $580

i got several 70+cc saws so there is no rush to up it--- the little 5105 is interesting cause it is so strong for a 50cc and so light --

out here 64xx are quite a bit less-- saw a new one the other day for $580

i got several 70+cc saws so there is no rush to up it--- the little 5105 is interesting cause it is so strong for a 50cc and so light --

There's a dealership around here that advertises prices for Dolmars on Craigslist. The difference between the 6421 and the 7910 prices that they advertised would be enough that a guy could buy a 6421 and a 7910 P&C and still be a few bucks less than the stock 7910. So you'd save money and get a free 6421 top end. :wtf:

More Pics (Wasn't sure what kind of pics people wanted, so just talking a variety of angles and including what came in the box, labels, etc)

20170120_155521_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20170120_155642_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20170120_160041_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20170120_160056_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20170120_160513_Richtone(HDR).jpg

BTW, This is where you find the carburetor adjustment screws. You can adjust the idle speed (marked "S") with a standard screw driver, so you can idle at a speed where your chain won't speed, but to adjust the other two screws (high speed and low/mid speed air:fuel, IIRC, to the left of the "S" hole), you need a special tool.

20170120_161307.jpg

20170120_171508_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20170120_172001_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20170120_175953.jpg

20170120_180006.jpg

BTW, it came with the Micro-chisel chain.

So, there ya go. You've seen my pics. :) I took some video of starting it for the first time and a little idle and a brief run up. I let it sit and idle after starting it for about 20 minutes, and it seemed to idle fine. I was surprised by how throaty it sounded. Unfortunately, the day flew by, I got a late start, so by the time I finished getting fuel, chain oil, clean up the mess I made on my deck with chain oil (LOL), getting ladders out, getting rid of some high limbs with my Saws-all (above my head and higher on the ladder than I was comfortable using a chainsaw at this point, not being an expert by any means), it was getting dark, so I didn't really get to cut much with it yet. I had another large limb that had fallen in the back yard, so I did about 3 cuts on that (probably only 4" diameter limbs), and it sliced through that like butter. I'm looking forward to more work tomorrow, if the weather cooperates.

BTW, I went to Bi-Mart to buy a new gas can, 2-stroke oil, and chain old, then planned to go for a bit of a drive to get some ethanol free gas. At Bi-Mart, my daughter noticed the pre-mixed fuel seen in the pic above. It was mixed 50:1 (which is what the manual calls for), uses synthetic oil, and 92 octane ethanol free gas. Given that I got a late start and the small amount of work I need to do (won't take a lot of gas), I decided to just use this stuff and buy the other stuff later, when I [hopefully] get the new house where I'll use my saw more. It was ~$5.99 for 32Oz (i.e. 1/4 of a gallon), so that almost $24/gallon (ouch!), but I opted for convenience and saving time today. Hopefully that wasn't a bad, engine killing choice or anything.

Anyway, looking forward to more cutting tomorrow. :)

Congrats on a Great saw and i'm glad you heat cycled it i do the same on all my own and customers saws that saw will last you forever lol i'm just not a fan of 50-1
40-1 for me lol
I would watch the tune we all live at different elevations haha

The special tool for the carb is available on eBay for a couple bucks. Can't remember which one it is, D shaped or Pac man maybe. Someone will be along shortly to let us know.

Edited to add, OP, since you already know your way around these one lung engines, you may already know this, but chainsaws like to run at only two throttle positions. Idle and WOT. Any time you are cutting you should have the throtte pegged. Obviously when the chain isn't in wood, let it idle, but what I'm getting at is that the saw doesn't want to be at half throttle in a cut. It can create a lean running condition.

Back