What to do about Windburn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JToadvine

Reaction score
Hello All!

I'm completely new to this forum, and I'm looking for some help :p

My husband & I purchased a Autumn Flame Red Maple from a fairly local nusery. When we purchased the tree we were told we could take it home immediately in our truck, however, I asked if they had some thick plastic or something to cover it with because we'd need something to prevent the tree from getting windburn. I was assured that, yes, they had something like that.

Well...We get to the point where we've paid for the tree, guy is loading it into the truck, and is pretty much done when I say..."Excuse me, don't you have something that you're going to protect the tree with? Plastic, or a cover of some sort?"

He then explains that he doesn't know of anything like that, and that we would have to bring our own...But then apparently gets the bright idea, takes the plastic that was covering the pallet of compost bags, and wraps our tree....

Hmm.... :bang:

Anywho, as you can only imagine....none of this help, and one side of our lovely maple suffered some pretty bad windburn. Is there anything I can do to help it, or is it a lost cause and I will have to return it???

Please let me know, any advice will be greatly appreciated! ;)

-Jennifer

I would not worry too much. how long was your trek home? how fast were you going? you should have followed your thoughts and covered it. how leafless is the canopy now?
put a pic of the tree up and maybe i can help more. i would say that most likely, if there is some decent canopy left then the tree will re-leaf and recover okay as long as it hasnt been too stressed out by the transplant.
good luck!

Latest posts

Back