What to do or see along I-80 in Western Iowa all of Nebraska and Eastern Colorado

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill G

ArboristSite King
Reaction score
I posted earlier that I am embarking on the longest trip of my life next week. We will be driving to Denver this coming weekend. I had planned on drivinf straight through but my boss(wife) knows taht I like to take side trips. Heck I can spend 2 hours going to the feed store up the road. She say we will leave a day early so I can linger around western Iowa, Nebraska, and Colorado. What is there to do along the way. We will be gong out on Saturday. I have made quick trips to the Dakotas and the Canada border but none allowed me to linger like this one. Give me some ideas Just stopping by to say hello is better than doing 80 on 80

In west Nebraska, turn off I-80 to Rt26, and head towards Scottsbluff, which is a tranquil plainsland town and home to the really beautiful stone Scotts Bluff Nat'l Monument that can be seen from miles away. Its a bit of a detour for the Denver route, but nicer views than I-80.

But most importantly of all, just before reaching Scottsbluff, turn north on 385 to Alliance, and seek out Carhenge. Its in the middle of nowhere and absurdly awesome.

From Scottsbluff you can go southwest via Cheyenne to reach Denver from I-25.

Go to roadsideamerica.com, they show a bunch of attractions. None may interest you, but it is a start. Try Googling "Points of interest on I-80" and you get loads of websites dedicated to quirky attractions.

I spent almost every weekend for 6 months driving from Michigan to Sioux Falls SD. Here are a few suggestions. Some might be a little too far out of your way.

The John Deere Tractor Museum in Waterloo Iowa
The Amana Colonies (never had a chance to stop there but wanted to)
The Froelich Tractor Museum (off from state road 18 near Monona, Iowa)
The John Deere Pavilion and John Deere World Headquarters in Moline
Most of the John Deere factories (Waterloo, Moline, Ottumwa, Debuque) offer factory tours, but plan ahead because you usually have to reserve a spot and there are restrictions on age if you have children (I think it's 16)
I don't know where in Illinois you are coming from, but I enjoyed the John Deere Historic Site in Grand Detour, Illinois
The Winnebago factory in Forest City, Iowa gives factory tours
There is the Herbert Hoover Museum (not a good President, but might be interesting anyway)
I enjoyed driving along the Mississippi River on the Iowa side through towns like Bellevue and Gutenberg. Very scenic.
The Rock Island Arsenal in Rock Island, Il. Bring ID if you plan to go there because it is a military base and you'll need to show ID to drive over the bridge.
There are Paddle Boat cruises on the Mississippi in the Moline area

Probably many more I'm forgetting and even more I'm unaware of. Their is more stuff in South Dakota, but that's WAY out of your way.

We ended up driving straight though Sunday. We drove up to the grassland area.......whew nothing to see there. Monday I will drive around looking for intersting things. Tuesday over to the park then the long drive home

tried to go to Estes park today but gave up after the 1000th damm stoplight on 34

I-80?? Drive.....fast....

34 isn't bad. Other option is to venture down to Lyons and drive up that way if you are wandering. Loveland has grown so much. My family & I lived out in Berthoud for 11 years... great place if you like Bicycles & Motorcycles! Used to bike ride up the hill to Carter Lake, down the back. Quite the ride. Estes park is touristy. Used to take the kids up there and hike. Bear lake and places like that when they were young. THEN off to places west of Ft. Collins like the Rawah National Forest...and they yet again when older to ride dirt bikes up in the Medicine Bow National Forest starting from that big snowmobile parking lot in Wycolo.. Memories.

Truck driver. Nothing worth seeing in between the big river and Denver. Nebraska sucks. 455mi of uphill westbound. I was pretty impressed with the CO landscape though. Its like flat farmland east of Denver with feilds full of wheat (I think) but just west of Denver...BAM.....wall of rock.

Well Bill what did you think of the dumbest man made tourist attraction along I-80 about half way across Nebraska? A bridge that does nothing and goes to nowhere. Just a fancy decorated bridge over the interstate with a gift shop inside. Kearny Ne is the one I am talking about.

Back