What to do with that root?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tell me youre thoughts

• Do not worry, let grow

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Prune that root away

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • wack that tree and get a new.......

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

R Schra

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So i have this tree (quess what species :) with that strange main root. What can or should be done with it?

MasterBlaster said:
Wow. Talk about girdling!

Thanks for clearing that name out :) Yep girdling root.... How about the trees species, come on......take that bite of that very delightfull hamburger

Dawn Redwood or Bald Cypress. Remove that center root that is arching down into the big piece.

Elmore said:
Dawn Redwood or Bald Cypress. Remove that center root that is arching down into the big piece.

Dawn redwood it is. I am going to remove that root next spring. Its supposed to become a Bonsai tree. Does anyone knows what triggers the growth of those rootknobs/airroots at a Dawn redwood? Is it age, genetics, lack of O/CO² in the soil/water or just some kind of support roots??

Mike Maas said:
It's not really a girdling root, it's just bent. Cutting it off might introduce rot.
I'd plant it in a noncritical area and start over with a better tree.

Hi Mike,

Its ok to cut that root i think, the tree wont be bigger as 1 till 1.5 meters. If rot does happen its no big deal to, ill treat that with sulfer i suppose. The purpose is to create a Bonsai. For normal planting or for a customer i never would accepted this. (btw i got that tree as it was supposed to get shredded because of that root)

R Schra said:
i got that tree as it was supposed to get shredded because of that root)
Then you got a real deal. If further out the big root grows away from the trunk, no big deal, it's not girdling, as Mike points out. I also agree with elmore, prune the little one(s) lapping over it.

Then again if it is for bonsai maybe girdling will lead to aboveground contortions, which will add to the appeal.

Latest posts

Back