What to plant? Native or foreign species of landscape plants?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep.

The classification of the golden raintree (Koelreuteria paniculata) as an invasive species can vary by region and the specific criteria used by different states and organizations. Several states in the United States have listed golden raintree as invasive or potentially invasive. Some of these states include:

1. Florida
  2. Georgia
  3. South Carolina
  4. Alabama
  5. Mississippi
  6. Louisiana
  7. Texas
  8. Arkansas
  9. Tennessee
  10. Kentucky
  11. Virginia
  12. North Carolina
  13. Ohio
Kindly notice that Missouri nor Kansas are on that list, which is where I am from. You can buy 'em at nearly any nursery, and except for their self seeding tendencies, they are fantastic landscape plants. Hardy, highly resistant to diseases and storm damage, they survive drought, clay soil, rocky soil, and they have low nutritional needs. They don't grow to a large size, they are not particularly fast growing, and they provide all season long visual interest, from the spring flowers to the pannicles of seeds, to their autumn color. During the fall season, the foliage of the golden raintree can turn shades of yellow, orange, and sometimes even reddish or purple tones.

As far as that goes, is there a single species of tree on the entire planet that is not self-seeding?
C'mon! Invasiveness is somewhat in the eye of the beholder. In my area, I've never seen one that was not planted as a landscape tree, and I sure know what they look like. I can show you large tracts of abeyant ground that are overcome by callery pear, yet you can still buy those damned Bradford pears at every nursery, too.

Yep.

The classification of the golden raintree (Koelreuteria paniculata) as an invasive species can vary by region and the specific criteria used by different states and organizations. Several states in the United States have listed golden raintree as invasive or potentially invasive. Some of these states include:

1. Florida
  2. Georgia
  3. South Carolina
  4. Alabama
  5. Mississippi
  6. Louisiana
  7. Texas
  8. Arkansas
  9. Tennessee
  10. Kentucky
  11. Virginia
  12. North Carolina
  13. Ohio
Kindly notice that Missouri nor Kansas are on that list, which is where I am from. You can buy 'em at nearly any nursery, and except for their self seeding tendencies, they are fantastic landscape plants. Hardy, highly resistant to diseases and storm damage, they survive drought, clay soil, rocky soil, and they have low nutritional needs. They don't grow to a large size, they are not particularly fast growing, and they provide all season long visual interest, from the spring flowers to the pannicles of seeds, to their autumn color. During the fall season, the foliage of the golden raintree can turn shades of yellow, orange, and sometimes even reddish or purple tones.

As far as that goes, is there a single species of tree on the entire planet that is not self-seeding?
C'mon! Invasiveness is somewhat in the eye of the beholder. In my area, I've never seen one that was not planted as a landscape tree, and I sure know what they look like. I can show you large tracts of abeyant ground that are overcome by callery pear, yet you can still buy those damned Bradford pears at every nursery, too.

You can still buy them is hardly a decent excuse. I'd encourage others to plant flora native to the region.

Show me a picture of your front yard, especially the landscape.
Then I'll challenge you to show me all the native species.

Your criticism is unwarranted and unwelcome, unless it is your position that the only suitable plants for a landscape are what we can dig up off the vacant lot next door. If humanity made that a universal policy, we would only grow locally sourced food as well, and then we'd all starve to death. If that's the case, then we can all just ignore your comments and move on.

Perhaps you think you can go down to the local nursery and ask them which varieties they are selling are considered wild/native species? Give me a town near you, I'll find a nursery, and then we can collectively see how that "local plants only" concept works out in the real marketplace.

You keep thinking that then.

In my 40 years of professional landscaping experience, I have found that the answers you get at the local nursery are not predictably reliable.

Just today, I called the perennial department of the largest nursery in our area to verify which versions of lavender plant they had in inventory. Grosso, and Phenomenal, both in adequate supply.
Unfortunately, the "perennial" department head gave me exactly the wrong advice as to which variety was the most hardy. Literally, all that is needed is to read the tags on the plants to know which is the most hardy in our area.

So you keep asking your local nursery which plant they want to sell you the most of, and I'll rely on more knowledgeable and impartial sources.

In the meanwhile, I'm still waiting for that picture:
Show me a picture of your front yard, especially the landscape.
Then I'll challenge you to show me all the native species.

You keep thinking that then.

In my 40 years of professional landscaping experience, I have found that the answers you get at the local nursery are not predictably reliable.

Just today, I called the perennial department of the largest nursery in our area to verify which versions of lavender plant they had in inventory. Grosso, and Phenomenal, both in adequate supply.
Unfortunately, the "perennial" department head gave me exactly the wrong advice as to which variety was the most hardy. Literally, all that is needed is to read the tags on the plants to know which is the most hardy in our area.

So you keep asking your local nursery which plant they want to sell you the most of, and I'll rely on more knowledgeable and impartial sources.

In the meanwhile, I'm still waiting for that picture:

a) I might suggest that you utilize a better or perhaps just different nursery. If there isnt one, then perhaps we;'ve just stumbled upon a lucrative market opportunity.
b) Rely less on an employees opinion and more on first hand experience
c) I didnt ever promise or mention sending you a picture of my house/home. Not sure why you are "waiting".
d) A stroll of my property reveals no non native trees- I've made sure of that. 2 Japanese barberry bushes- to be removed during forthcoming light and deck installation. We are still dealing with quite a few invasive annuals, and due to their nature likely will be for some time.

I guess my point is made then. There are no "native" Japanese barberries in this country, are there?

Your favorite tree in MO is an invasive species from asia that has a proclivity for self seeding?

You even have a plant species from Asia. Now please try not to be so judgmental about what folks plant in their yards.

You haven't commented about whatever annuals and perennials you have in your landscape, either. Unless you have none, I'll bet none of the "planted" landscape features are native.

Warming to the subject, when I started my career in Denver CO, if only native species were used, you would have had a dizzying array of 2 choices... native cottonwood... yeehaw, my lawn will look like it snowed in the summer... or Ponderosa Pine, which honestly transplants very poorly and doesn't deal well with irrigation, and has a very shallow root system that doesn't play well with lawns or driveways.
Yep, we loved Golden Raintrees as well, they do very well there, and yep, planted a lot of Bradford Pears as well... If you have ever flown into DIA, I'm sure you have noticed the lush pear and Raintree forest blanketing eastern Colorado as a result of those choices...

I have these invasive plants in my yard and woods and what a huge pain in the ass they are:

Chinaberry
Mahonia
Privet
Japanese honeysuckle
Nandina
Paper mulberry
Chinese tallow
Autumn olive
Callery pear
Black bamboo (I planted this one)

Here the big invasive plant is scotch/french/spanish broom. Mostly french, though most people inaccurately call that species scotch broom. The seed pods spray seeds all over so it can take over a patch of ground in a couple years. I see it planted in town as an ornamental but no one up here would do that.

The last couple years there's been an influx of italian thistle.

The plant I hate the most is poison oak, and that's native.

Yes indeed. We have invasive poison ivy, black locust, honey locust, cottonwood, and mulberry. "Chinese" elm has been around so long, most folks don't know it is non-native (Siberian elm, actually). That useless tree, the "Tree of heaven", is all over the urban neglected areas. More invasive and imported than any of the rest.

EDIT: It occurred to me that some of the mulberries are imported, too. So even though we have the Red and Texas mulberries, we also have:​
  1. White Mulberry (Morus alba)
  2. Black Mulberry (Morus nigra)
  3. Paper Mulberry (Broussonetia papyrifera)
Then again, we have the dandelion. Did you know those are imported, too?

I guess my point is made then. There are no "native" Japanese barberries in this country, are there?

You even have a plant species from Asia. Now please try not to be so judgmental about what folks plant in their yards.
Good lord are you daft?

Boy i stubbed yer toe on this topic, huh? Hit a sore spot?
Go back and reread.
Or not.

Yeah, hard to get on board the native or else boat. There is a big difference between non native and invasive. Blanket statements in general have a tendency to reflect on one's education and experience on any given subject.

Getting on board is something everyone who has interest in the outdoors, ecology, and wildlife in general should make every effort to do. YMMV. Others too. My position is that they are wrong.

Good lord are you daft?

You might fool yourself into thinking that.

Re-read for yourself, then quote me on some topic you think I didn't understand. You are the one picking fights about planting common nursery stock as a bad idea.

This is a common behavior from folks with offbeat notions: everyone else is wrong and should be verbally abused, at a minimum. Despite the fact that the folks with offbeat notions are but a tiny percentage of the population.

I have these invasive plants in my yard and woods and what a huge pain in the ass they are:

Chinaberry
Mahonia
Privet
Japanese honeysuckle
Nandina
Paper mulberry
Chinese tallow
Autumn olive
Callery pear
Black bamboo (I planted this one)

I've been rooting things out and trying to correct the wrongs of the previous owners creative landscaping. We've got 2 acres, so its been a process. The trees are all squared away. The bushes will be dealt with when the deck goes in. The groundcover and annuals... i yi yi.

I see. You don't know what trees are there, and you are assuming.
And you advise me to rely more on personal experience. :angry:

Personal attacks on me, by the way, aren't effective. They only reveal the weakness of your arguments. When you respond with a personal attack, I get a nice warm feeling inside, knowing that I got you on the ropes.

Back