What tree am I?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syndi

Reaction score
I think I am some type of crabapple. I have long sharp thorns along my branches. My flowers are soft pink and I have small apple fruits in the summer. What am I? If I am a crabapple, what variety am I? I live in a protected swamp area of WV.

If your tree has small appx 1/2 inch fruit, it is likely hawthorn, genus crataegus. In the rose family, with some 200 species. Almost all are thorny, the berries are called haws, and under 1 ". Flowers May to June after leafing, white to pink. Leaves smooth to lightly lobed, smallish, oblong.

Crabapple, more than apple, can develop sharp spurs often mistaken for thorns. They flower before hawthorn out here in the PNW. Both trees have a rather unruly growing pattern, with the hawthorn even more so, but typically more upright.

Thank you for replying. Is there an online source to view Hawthorns...I have not had any luck finding a good source. If not, is there a reference book you could suggest. I have two tree guides but it is not in either. Thank you again.

Here's two, Syndi, but not much in the way of good photos.

http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/crataegs.html

http://www.treeguide.com/naspecies.asp?TreeID=CRSPEC1

Try the image gallery, but it doesn't work for me, with any browser. The site says it is still being built.

Here are two of the best tree id books, the second has three pages of hawthorn photos.

North American Landscape Trees, by Arthur Lee Jacobsen
ISBN 0-89815-813-0.

Trees of North America and Europe, by Roger Phillips
ISBN: 0-394-73541-2, available here: http://www.pnwisa.org/catalog.html

I just cut one down in my yard, as it was unruly, especially thanks to my topping it 15 years ago. Shame on me, even then, I knew better!! But in doing so, I exposed my neighbor's gorgeous (but poorly located for a specimen) 5'x10' red laceleaf japanese maple to more light and view!! Now I'll never forget to keep it pruned!

Roger

ISA Certified Arborist

In the wet great PNW, but born on the east shore of Virginia.
Heard you had a bunch of snow in the WVa mtns this winter!!

Tree Photos - Hawthorne/Crabapple/ Japanese Maple

Roger& Syndi,

I found a wonderful Web site that lists 7 different varities of Hawthorne and 5 Crabapple. Just click on:

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/index.html

and go to the site search and type in the common name
and genus if you know it.. and viola all the information
you could want plus pictures!! A GREAT site!!

Now a question for Roger:

I live in Upstate SC z7 and have two Japanese maples (Acer Palmatum) I planted about 30 feet apart in red clay two years ago. One is in a slightly more shady spot and is growing well... it is about 7' tall and lots of healthy new growth. The other tree planted at the same time is only about 5' high, has several dead branches and some dead, dry culing leaves.. it looks 'sick'. Should I move it to a less sunny spot? The 'sick' tree gets a southwest sun exposure from about 1-5 PM as does the healthy one. Would better soil prep, fertilzer and frequent watering help? We have a drought going here. I have been using two tree 'fertilzer spikes' on each tree. Thanks for your answer.. Sheep

sheepshine,

Thanks for the link!! Best online plant database I've seen.

Not sure if I can help much with the problematic maple. Make sure your waterings are deep, and not too frequent. 3-4 inches of mulch are good. You might check to make sure there are no girdling roots. A careful excavation could tell you. Verticillium wilt is a problem with mature maples, unlikely woth young ones. It is very possible that the tree had problems at the nursery.

If I had a digital camera, I'd post shots of mine, but that might be rude!! My upright green acer is pushing 30 feet tall by 35 feet in spread. The red one is 15x15. And my two laceleaf green ones are close to 10 feet across, and cascade down a rockery.

An 80 year old spectacular specimen was on display indoors at the Seattle garden show. It was bought by our mayor for $35,000!!! It will be used as public living art, but brought ire due to his impulsive purchase. He has offered to pay for it himself if necessary.

Japanese Maples

Roger,

Thanks for your reply.. glad you like the UCON site! Did you fill out their survey? I'm sure they would like to have a 'pros' opinion on their efforts. I printed out their data on Japanese Maples and then went looking for any info on 'twig kill' which they mention as a 'liablity' for the tree. I found this site:

http://www.natlarb.com/winter-kill.html

Do you think this is what might have happened to my young tree? I'm going to follow your suggestions about watering and checking the root problem.. There is a small pin oak within 20 feet of the maple. When I picked these trees up from the nursery (3) they all had ice on them from a winter storm. The nursery didn't charge much for them so maybe they knew something I didn't?? Two are doing well.. one in front about 30 feet away from the 'sick' tree is doing great!

Thanks again.. wish I could see pictures of your trees and of that 80' tree the governor bought!! :) Shine

ERDoc

syndi said:
I think I am some type of crabapple. I have long sharp thorns along my branches. My flowers are soft pink and I have small apple fruits in the summer. What am I? If I am a crabapple, what variety am I? I live in a protected swamp area of WV.

You have a hawthorn, sometimes known as thornapple, in the genus Crataegus. There are several species that are native to your area. They provide food for deer abd birds.

Back