What tree is this in St Louis?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McC

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Spent a couple days in St Louis with the family. We went to the zoo and arch. Saw a lot of these trees in the zoo. Smooth light gray bark, large trunk with big canopy. I've never seen a tree like this, what is it, what is it used for? I was surprised the trees and grass really aren't much further along than our plants up here in Wisconsin. Our Magnolia tree has some open buds, the Magnolias and crab trees in St Louis are in full bloom. Also, ate ribs 2 nights in a row. Went to Lil Mikey's in St Peters and Pappy's Smokehouse in St Louis. Wow, they were both great. The main reason I went was to hit a few famous rib joints. I was not disappointed.:hmm3grin2orange:
Scott

826914567_cNEfL-L.jpg

Sychamore maybe?

Last edited:
From the distance of the picture it looks like it could be a sycamore. Cant really tell.

Dude, was it growing out of a hill side or what??:dizzy: Man my neck hurts!!
Looks like a Sycamore tree to me, pretty common around here. Next time drop me a line, could have given you some good places to check out and eat.

:cheers:
Mike

Little late!
But ya, Sycamore (Platanus occidentalis)
So I added the scientific name!

Zoo's always a good time!

Well I guess I should have rotated the view. Sycamore, very common name, never seen one before. I thought they were dead trees until I got up close. Mark, good to hear from you I'm doing fine. TRI955, I'll be coming through again , maybe not this year, but next time will be a dedicated trip to hit the best rib joints in KC, ST Louis, and Memphis. Got any suggestions now so I get a head-start on my plans? The zoo was great, got really busy after lunch (good Friday)
Thanks, Scott

yes

they are very common in my area along river banks and bottom lands

Back