What would you do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon E

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Not too long ago I picked up a Stihl 020av-top handle saw. I tried and failed to get it started, so, trusting my dealer, I brought it to him to repair it. This was last Thursday. The key to this story is that the saw was 100% original and in pretty mint condition (although dirty) right down to the original Duromatic bar and 1/4" pitch chain. Early 1970's vintage.

Saturday I get a call/message from the mechanic - "Saw is running, come pick it up, bill is $50 and change."

Today I show up, about 10 am, mechanic doesn't come in until 1 pm. The sales guy can't find the saw. I go out back with him to look, there's a 020avt on the floor with my name on the tag, but something just doesn't look right. I point out that the model tag on my saw was clear and easy to read and this one wasn't but maybe I was misremembering. The paper repair tag had a comment on it, written by the mechanic, that said - "Recommendation - don't put any more $ into this saw". The fuel filter, fuel line and impulse line was replaced and the carb was cleaned. At least it started and ran. I paid the bill and walked out to my truck.

Just as I was setting the saw down on the passenger floorboard, I saw something else that didn't look quite right - I had replaced the pull cord on my saw less than two weeks ago and left a pretty huge knot sticking out the top of the handle. This saw had no knot, and the rope was frayed and dirty. A closer look revealed that the saw I held, did not have the old-style early 70's Stihl tag, but a much newer tag, and there were some other differences to the saw, more cosmetic than anything else.

I brought the saw back inside and complained to the sales guy. We went back into the shop and I spotted another 020avt under the bench, with my saw's parts bolted to it, and a big note written right on the case in Sharpie that said "GAS TANK LEAKS" and an arrow. I said - that's half my saw, and this is half your saw, and why? He said that he'd have the mechanic call me. So about an hour ago, the mechanic calls and I asked him to explain. He says that he was taking apart the saw and did something to the gasket that holds the two halves of the gas tank together, stripped a screw, and caused my gas tank to leak. So he replaced half of my saw (the original, mint-condition part that HE broke) with a much newer half off a saw that was in their parts inventory. He basically shrugged it off and said, hey man, your saw runs, that's all you wanted, right?

Let's just say that the reason I bought the saw is because it WAS all original, and an excellent candidate for restoration and cleaning. Now the dumbass has busted my saw and I want satisfaction. The owner of the shop, who seems to be a really decent guy, is on vacation. I left the saw with them while I wait for the owner to get back. When he does (if you were me), what should I do?

I would get an 046 out'a the deal, and all my parts put back on my saw... In doing so, tell him you won't post the address of his shop on a particularly popular chainsaw website. :cheers:

I would be pissed!!! Try to calm down and wait for the owner to get back to you. They should at the very least give you back what is yours if it is really broke. I think reguardless of the out come, I would look for someone else to wrench on my saws in the future. Good luck and keep us posted.

hmm.

What would I do..?
Well it would depend on how I felt about the saw.
At minimum I would explain how I felt about them assuming this work was alright to perform without discussing it with me first.

What makes it your saw is that it is composed of your parts.
If you like having the new parts - fine.

If the original parts badge etc.. meant more; like an heirloom
then I would be looking for something more; what I don't know.

I would NOT like being misled; left out of the loop; etc.

I WOULD like to take issue with the mechanics' note about your saw.
Pretty brassy from someone who goofed up your saw and didn't bother to tell you about it.

I would tell him and the owner just exactly how they made you feel trust-wise.

They should have done better in the customer relation side of this at least.
Let us know how it turns out.
-br

For a dealer, a saw is a working tool that needs to cut in the first place, not a vintage showroom model that needs to be preserved in its original state.

He made a mistake (can happen to all of us), and repaired it technically speaking with a newer part than the original saw. Can't really complain about that... technically, and the saw seems to be working OK.

If you really have some emotional value to the other saw half, you always can negotiate to buy the parts saw, and repair it yourself. I assume if he has to carry out that repair, it's taking too much labour or it's too difficult, otherwise he would have not taken the route he took.

I think that dealer will cut you a good deal on those parts if you explain the situation.

No reason to get into fight imo.

Last edited:
What I Would Do

Jon,

I my previous life, at times I worked as a dealership mechanic; and I can tell you sometimes things happen.

Maybe the mechanic was trying to make things right; parts sometimes do get broken, through no fault of the mechanic. Old, rusty, worn out, parts don't all act the same. MAYBE

BUT: I don't feel right in this case. What bothers me is, why were your parts on the other saw. He should have known your vintage that saw should have been kept intact.

Many years ago I had a Corvette wrecked by a drunk driver; and it was taken to the only Corvette only repair facility in this certain city. Of course there was a battle over the cost of repairs, the other driver's insurance company. I was away a Army school and the body shop knew this; but unexpectedly I got leave and came home for a week. Just stopped to see the car and went to the body shop; the owner wasn't in, but a body man said it was in the back room. OK. I just walked to the backroom, remember No Owner There. Well the radio was taken out of the car, and maybe more. Young and dumb, I didn't call the police. The Owner came in and we got into it. Called my insurance company, they removed the car, from that insurance sponsored body shop, and had it taken to another for the repairs. I went back to the Army and the car was done when I got home. Radio and all.

He was selling parts off of my car and hoping to somehow replace them before I found out.

So You have to get to the bottom of the story; and you need the owner to be there. Don't hesitate to call the police, or at least mention that.

We can't just shoot people in todays Liberal society, wish we could

Motobike

my cousins mini mac was an all metal saw when ti went in to the shop for a tune up when it came back the recoil cover handle and other parts were switched to plastic replacement parts... my cousin is livid:greenchainsaw: he is gonna make them pay for the parts and the repair bill

Latest posts

Back