WHAT YEAR DID STIHL CHANGE TO THE NEW STYLE MS 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you really want the new model 261, sit down with a phone in hand and start calling around.

Or.....tell your local dealer that you want the new model and have him order it for you. If your dealer doesn't want to work with you, an e-mail message to Stihl Inc. can and does work wonders. ;)

That makes it about the same weight as my 026 PRO (dry weight about 13 lb). Looks like we are moving back to the turn of the century. :rolleyes:

Yep, pretty similar. I owned both until very recently. They do pretty much weigh the same, and the 261 is a little bulkier. Plus, that square plastic look of the 026 is so classic. BUT, the 261 is way easier starting, has substantially better AV, a worlds-better air filter, captive bar nuts, and a carb that is never out of tune, plus mine has heated handles :). Don't get me wrong, for the money, an 026 is a little ripper, and will last a lifetime. For daily or weekly use though, all that little stuff adds up to make a much more user friendly saw. I particularly like how easy it is to restart my 261. For a little saw that you're using in brushy stuff, being able to push the decomp and lightly pull the rope is a pretty nice feature.

Yep, pretty similar. I owned both until very recently. They do pretty much weigh the same, and the 261 is a little bulkier. Plus, that square plastic look of the 026 is so classic. BUT, the 261 is way easier starting, has substantially better AV, a worlds-better air filter, captive bar nuts, and a carb that is never out of tune, plus mine has heated handles :). Don't get me wrong, for the money, an 026 is a little ripper, and will last a lifetime. For daily or weekly use though, all that little stuff adds up to make a much more user friendly saw. I particularly like how easy it is to restart my 261. For a little saw that you're using in brushy stuff, being able to push the decomp and lightly pull the rope is a pretty nice feature.
Hmm... Well, the 026 PRO does have a decomp and mine starts very easily from day to day. I admit the captive bar nuts are nice on my new 661, but I have a slew of replacement bar nuts around just in case for all the rest of my Stihl saws. I haven't tuned my 026 PRO carb in five years. Never had to do that.

I suppose I still have to wonder how Stihl got the price of a 261 up to $600 or more, but they did. More power to them.

Bought my MS-261 C-M off CL. Brand-new, not even started. $350.00. Don't think I'll ever see another deal like that.

350.00 $???? That was a f***ing great deal. Lucky man. I payed for mine 720.00 Euros instead of the normal price which is 819.00 Euros, and I thought I got a deal.

Latest posts

Back