What year is this Stihl 026?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ri chevy

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
How can I tell what year this Stihl 026 is? I have the serial number. It is 230336936. The top shows 026. Does not say pro on it, but has the white professional lower unit. It looks as if it will need a new piston and cylinder at the least. Any help appreciated. Thank you in advance.

254952d1349036051-stihl-026-used-jpg

How can I tell what year this Stihl 026 is? I have the serial number. It is 230336936. The top shows 026. Does not say pro on it, but has the white professional lower unit. It looks as if it will need a new piston and cylinder at the least. Any help appreciated. Thank you in advance.

254952d1349036051-stihl-026-used-jpg

I think the dealers can look up the number and see which dealer sold it and when. The serial numbers do not carry a date code from what I understand.
Great saw

Why does it matter when it was made? ie, why does it matter to YOU? Just wondering. They made the 026 until they started the MS260. Whether it says pro on it or not, it is still a professional grade saw. The main differences were that the "pro" had an adjustable oiler and a clutch operated oiling mechanism. Some may have had a compression release but not needed for a 50cc saw in my opinion.

If it needs a piston/cylinder kit and you don't own it yet, don't pay much for it. They are worth fixing. Sell around here for $250 ish.

I was trying to figure out the year so I could get an accurate estimate for parts. Just trying to do my homework and possibly make an educated purchase. That's all. :D Don't want to get duped.

Back